By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When will the "3rd party software doesn't sell on the Wii" argument die?

I have been meaning to create this thread for some time, apologies if it already exists.

Every time there's a discussion about the longevity of the Wii, or about Wii's value for the gaming industry as a whole, the well known "3rd party software doesn't sell on the Wii" argument appears.

Sure, there was a time when there was no good 3rd party software on the Wii, and there was a time when 3rd party software didn't sell, but I think that we now have more than enough evidence to conclude that good Wii software can sell well, no matter whether it's party games or not, and no matter whether it's a 3rd party game or not.

Do you really think that most Wii users know/care about which software developer made a game?

Discuss.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

legends never die

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!

bet with *no one yet* that the combined first week of Monster Hunter 3 in america and europe will be 600k or more! winner changes looser sig and avatar for two months!

Even bad software from 3rd party it's selling on Wii at a very good rate. That argument it's used only by people that it's not well informed about the market to be honest.

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

Because nearly all of the 3rd party games are bad, there are very few worth getting or interesting.

I'm confident 2008 will see some killer AAA titles from third parties and they should really sell.

tmbh said:
Because nearly all of the 3rd party games are bad, there are very few worth getting or interesting.

I'm confident 2008 will see some killer AAA titles from third parties and they should really sell.

Even now, third party games are already selling well. Look at Wii's million sellers list:

• Wii Sports
  • Wii Play
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
  • Super Mario Galaxy
  • Mario Party 8
  • Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
  • Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
  • Super Paper Mario
  • Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree
  • Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
  • Rayman Raving Rabbids
  • Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock
  • Mario Strikers Charged
  • Red Steel
  • Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

I count five 3rd party games in the list (bolded). More existing games will be entering this hall of fame soon, not to mention new games as you said.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

The same time the argument of the PS3 dropping in sales post-price drop is over.

It will die by the time the "Wii will only get spin offs from 3rd parties" argument takes off. Wii FUD is very diverse and a great part of it is contradictory.

Wii is a fad do not go well with Nintendo is ruining the gaming industry.

Wii can only offer mini game compilations do not go well with 3rd party games sell poorly. Unless you really love these crappy games, you should not expect/wish for them to be best sellers.

Wii is not for Teh Hardcorez do not match I dislike Nintendo games. If you would play a Wii in the first place, why avoid the most core oriented games. Some Nintendo games are way too hard for unexperienced players (casual).

In the end most of these claims come from "I have not played it, I am not giving it a chance and I hate it" people.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

When multiplatform games start selling better on the Wii, despite them usually being the worst quality out of them all. That was sarcasm by the way. I don't think the arguement is valid anyway. Better one would be is find me a 3rd party Wii game that is for one quality, and two well marketed and hyped. Until devs start takign the time to make a good game, then this arguement won't be even somewhat valid.

That arguement will die by next year January 2009, just like the Wii s a gimick is almost dead.

"Like you know"

yeah that argument should die,3rd party games have been selling really well lately