By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - New Weekly America Charts - READ THIS THREAD

What happened to the monthly data section (the weekly is nice, but shouldn't there also be a section for the monthly NPD data?), and will the compare consoles section for the Americas be brought back?

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

Perfect, I just asked the same question in the comments section of the april 15th listing.

BTW the posting will look like it did not work, but it actually does keep your comment.

superchunk said:

Perfect, I just asked the same question in the comments section of the april 15th listing.

BTW the posting will look like it did not work, but it actually does keep your comment.

Yup, agree with the last comment (directing to a bad page I think - I got a duplicate post as well...).

ioi - some questions for you on this:

1/ Where do you get the numbers from? If its a "source", that is good enough for me :) You aren't just making them up are you?

2/ Will we get them weekly? (too awesome if the answer is YES :>) Or just 4/5 weeks after each month?

3/ Will we (should we?) have monthly's as well? Guess its just a database trick (have any period if we wanted?)

Too sweet!! One  step closer to having PROPER weekly, world sales tracking!

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

thanks ioi.

just wondering: how come we not only get the March NPD in week format, but also this very week (15th april)? it suggests we'll get weekly update now... don't disappoint us  

I think the switch to weekly data is because NPD is breathing down on the website's neck.  My guess is there are weekly assessments of data which NPD uses for preliminiary reports..which are not released.  I think ioi has somehow gotten access to the weekly assessments of data NPD uses...

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

Even so, the numbers are still suspect. 360 numbers are especially high for April, considering no known numbers exist, and Wii numbers too low especially considering that Canadian numbers are added.

I say go back to montly charts coinciding with NPD numbers if there is no legal problems. Weekly numbers that comes out of nowhere puts the site's crediblity into question. 

TheSource said:
I think the switch to weekly data is because NPD is breathing down on the website's neck. My guess is there are weekly assessments of data which NPD uses for preliminiary reports..which are not released. I think ioi has somehow gotten access to the weekly assessments of data NPD uses...

I can understand if VGcharts uses NPD preliminiary reports for March numbers, (that will be available in about 10 hours) but what about April Numbers ??? weekly NPD preliminiary reports, too ???

If it's true, it will be great : no need to wait 30 days to know the US charts !!!

wooooooooooow !!!

Edit : monthly section has totally desappeared ?? with all the numbers ? I hope they will be back soon !!

bring back monthly, and make a Japan monthly version also.

how about a Euro monthly, more usefull then usa weekly.

I appreciate the weekly sales and mostly the effort the people is putting in to it. I love it they bring in weekly American sales so to see how new released games are doing overthere. Dropping into the top of the charts or not. With a monthly sale you can't really see that as it differs from week to week. Also we can see the influence of certain releases on the hardware sales. No really I think this is absolutely an improvement, would be great if the Europeans could show weekly sales as well but that's probably somehow more difficult, I guess.

This profile is no longer in use, see my other profile *~Onna76~*

i think the weekly charts are great (even though i think that putting the monthly in a sub-page, like the yearly, could be nice). It gives a closer look on trends, and for the inpatient kind, waiting for a week is so much better than a month.... i understand completely the legal issue and i am pretty sure you extrapolate the right numbers, and adjust as you go. you don't seem afraid to admit mistakes (x360 numbers) so i think it will go fine, and probably better and better.