By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Console sales numbers from Norway

I recieved an email last night from my contact in the console tracking section of spillforeningen.no (currently offline for updates and added content).

Okay, here are some numbers for you first:

Nintendo Wii: latest data from retailers and outlets show approximately 57.000 Wii's have been sold in Norway, whereas almost 20.000 of them were sold in December! The numbers were very low most months before Dec, and they seem to be dropping down to the same levels (approx 600-650 per week).

X-Box 360: Microsoft do not publish oficial numbers in Norway (they did not agree to FagPressen's terms), but we have pretty accurate data nonetheless from retailers. The 360 has moved roughly 45.000 units thus far, with December sales spiking by about 150% (no accurate numbers yet, I'll try to find them!). Weekly sales are roughly 250 (stable, seem to continue now past new years).

Playstation 3: The PS3 has moved approx 57.000 (!) units in Norway, putting it neck a neck with the Wii and a good deal in front of the 360. Weekly sales from launch till first price cut (in june here) were roughly 875, and weekly sales after the price cut (which was 2000NOK off of 6000NOK) were around 1100. Approximately 20.000 PS3's were sold in December alone. The first three weeks of 2008 has seen weekly sales of approx 1250.

I'll also bring you the newest top 20 console games as well as top 10 handheld and PC when they arrive sometime this week!

Around the Network

Is that much or not....Yeah sorry don't know if Norway is a game country or not...I should compare it with my country (sales).

konnichiwa said:
Is that much or not....Yeah sorry don't know if Norway is a game country or not...I should compare it with my country (sales).

It is a game country, more so than ever before. The PS2, for instance, has sold almost 600.000 here!

I didn't know Norway was that pro-Sony, although it is not that surprising since it is in EU.

^
Well, I guess it is kinda pro-Sony, but there were quite a few store clerks having a hard time telling people before june why they should spend 6000NOK on a console (that's roughly 1100$ in todays value)...

Around the Network

Thanks Mummelmann, I saw the PS3 & WII LTD somewhere else, and they match what you post, so sounds pretty legit. Other data is interesting as I haven't seen that before.

Like I said, I'll bring the top 20 list and some more, but there are no numbers attached, just ranking since Norwegian law does not permit the numbers to be public because of company/developer rights... I know it sounds fishy, but it's actually true in all it's idiocy!

cool48 said:
I didn't know Norway was that pro-Sony, although it is not that surprising since it is in EU.

Norway has joined the European Union? Holy crap, nobody told me about this!

Parokki said:
cool48 said:

Norway has joined the European Union? Holy crap, nobody told me about this!

I meant Europe I always just type in EU for short.

So I guess Wii isn't toally unknow thare now is it Mummel

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)