By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo Develops 45 New Games for Wii

Nintendo Develops 45 New Games for Wii, 79 Titles for DS Player

Source

Around the Network

More titles need to move from developing to released. Way too many games keep on getting postponed by them. My one major dissapointment. I was hoping to be playing Brawl by now.

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.

They have done a pretty good job so far, despite those delays. We have:

1. Zelda: TP
  2. Warioware
  3. Fire Emblem(JP)
  4. Pokemon Revolution(JP)
  5. Super Paper Mario
  6. Big Brain Acadamy(JP)
  7. Wii Sports
  8. Wii Play
  9. Excite Truck

The Japanese titles should release soon worldwide. The summer in Japan seems to be a little slow with only Mario party and mario Strikers as a big titles.

Once fall comes between Smash Bros., Mario Galaxy, Wii health/music, Metroid, Mario Sonic Olympics, Battalion Wars, and possibly Project HAMMER and Day of Crisis it should be one heck of a year.

Microsoft and Sony put together don't have even close to that much 1st/2nd party action in their first 12 months of launch. In fact I'd go so far to say that's the biggest 1st/2nd party showing within the first year of a system launch in history. Think about it you have Zelda/Mario/Metroid/Smash Bros. all in one year, and then your getting pokemon/paper mario/fire emblem in the same year. And the success of these new hits likw the Wii sports type of games. They clearly will have more million+ sellers then anyone. I'm sure you'll even see alot of 5 million sellers. Wii sports is probably there already with Wii Play not far behind. honestly my only grip is what is Nintendo going to release next year? It can't possibly be half of what this year is going to be.

That sounds like programming hell. Did they set up sweat shops and teach kids how to program? It's hard to imagine how they output so much.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

I imagine those numbers are quite inflated by the idea of a single team having more then one game concept in the pipe(meaing that they have one game soon to release and one game in the idea phase that won't release for two years), and I'm more then sure they all won't see the light of day. Kind of like when Retro opened it's doors it said it had four games in development, but ended up canceling all four of them and just making Metroid. and to this day they haven't released four games. Even Nintendo you'd think internally they don't cancel many titles but that's not true. They canceled a bunch of games in the N64 days just think Earthbound 64, or Leo the White Lion.

Around the Network

This is games in development, not games to be released in the near future. What this means is that Nintendo has 45 new games for the Wii which will be released within 18 to 24 months; or roughly 2 games per month for the near future.

45 games sounds like a lot of work, but each major studio can work on multiple projects at the same time without too many problems.

HappySqurriel said:

This is games in development, not games to be released in the near future. What this means is that Nintendo has 45 new games for the Wii which will be released within 18 to 24 months; or roughly 2 games per month for the near future.

45 games sounds like a lot of work, but each major studio can work on multiple projects at the same time without too many problems.

I know, but I am just trying to imagine how many people Nintendo has working to make these games. Like foo said above about Retro, they cancelled 4 games just to make 1. Nintendo has 45 for the Wii and 79 for the DS in the pipeline. That's insane. So I just thought it would be fun to imagine kids behind computers in tattered clothing and Miyamoto standing behind them with a whip yelling in Japanese.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

I cannot imagine how Nintendo can do that many new games/month.

HOLY SMOKES.

These must be like PONG or something. Because Sony is only working on around 20 and has a dev department around 4x bigger than nintendo. (meaning Nintendo is only big enough to make 5 games every 2 years on a next gen console)

Yet they can crank out 45 games for the Wii? I'm sorry. This draws the line. I'm seriously thinking about selling my Wii.

EDIT: Add in the 79 DS ones, your looking at 134games in dev.

Guys, this is bad... Bad for anyone who loves games.

EDIT2: Not even EA is doing near this much. EA is by far bigger than any other company in gaming. 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Kwaad said:

I cannot imagine how Nintendo can do that many new games/month.

HOLY SMOKES.

These must be like PONG or something. Because Sony is only working on around 20 and has a dev department around 4x bigger than nintendo. (meaning Nintendo is only big enough to make 5 games every 2 years on a next gen console)

Yet they can crank out 45 games for the Wii? I'm sorry. This draws the line. I'm seriously thinking about selling my Wii.

EDIT: Add in the 79 DS ones, your looking at 134games in dev.

Guys, this is bad... Bad for anyone who loves games.

Yeah but most of Sony's stuff leans toward massive experiences, where I wouldn't say most but alot of Nintendo's stuff goes into a far simplier direction, Wii sports type games. I wouldn't even be surprised if they are including a bunch of light downloadable games.

fooflexible said:

Yeah but most of Sony's stuff leans toward massive experiences, where I wouldn't say most but alot of Nintendo's stuff goes into a far simplier direction, Wii sports type games. I wouldn't even be surprised if they are including a bunch of light downloadable games.

fooflexible - why is Nintendo working on 3x more games than EA... even tho EA is like 10-20x bigger than nintendo.

If there was ever a company designed to churn out games fast... it was EA.

Guys. This is making EA look like they spend TONS of time with their games. 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!