By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The SNES is the greatest console of all time

Source

exert - "So what's so great about the SNES?

Perhaps even more than the games or the hardware, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System did everything you would expect from a follow-up to a wildly popular video game console. In essence, the NES was the building block of American gaming in the '80s and the SNES was first console to be drastically different (and better) than its predecessor.

Beyond that, the SNES was popular well into the 32-bit era of gaming and stood its ground against the Playstation even though the latter was released almost five years later. And although it didn't quite sell nearly as many units as the NES, games like Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart, Donkey Kong Country, Street Fighter II, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, and even Mortal Kombat made it a must-buy for gamers all over the world.

But perhaps most importantly, think of the world the SNES spawned. Instead of releasing a veiled copy of the NES to get in on the fight with Sega earlier, Nintendo created a follow-up that was worthy of the 'Super' moniker and gave developers the license they needed to create the legendary titles that we still play today.

And after playing through some of the classics from well over ten years ago, today's gaming just doesn't compare. In fact, I would gladly give up the beauty of Gears of War for just 15 minutes of Donkey Kong Country. Who else is with me?"

Personally I would have to agree. The SNES has my most fondest memories of gaming. In fact it and the NES are one of the reasons I own a Wii, the Virtual console. Follow the source for more on the other choices and why they don't match the SNES. 

Around the Network

I don't have the attention span to read your whole post, however, I will simply respond to the Topic and say, yes. It is.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

My favourite console of all time is the N64.

I know its an odd one to choose but I loved the control scheme and the games so why not?

I agree that the SNES is probably the greatest system of all time. However, DKC vs. Gears of War? C'mon man! I mean, really? 15 minutes of Donkey Kong Country?

I am 14 years old, and did not experience the SNES. I have downloaded the games on VC, but they just don't seem even close to as good as the N64 games.

Maybe it is that I didn't experience the games when they were new, and that they can't compare to todays games. But for me, N64 > GC and maybe even Wii. I believe, that since so many here had their first console as NES or SNES they have a nostalgia, that follow them even when they play the games again.

I changed my opinion. I do not partly agree. I simply don't agree. The greatest console of all time (for me) is currently Nintendo 64.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Around the Network

snes was the best! loved SMW and DKC so much!

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Nah, I'm going to say the PS2 was. Biggest library, spent the most hours playing it etc.

Ps2 disagrees with this topic.

Wii is the best console ever, end of discussion.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

Dallinor said:
Nah, I'm going to say the PS2 was. Biggest library, spent the most hours playing it etc.

Same here, as far as consoles go.