By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Nintendo Q&A session transcript--Enjoy!

For Nintendo fans--

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/070427qa/index.html

Well, not just for Nintendo fans, but Nintendo fans would probably enjoy reading this a bit more

the Wii is an epidemic.

Around the Network

Hehe it's 5 pages with 25 questions with a lot of long answers, good read though. A few of them have already been posted as news here and elsewhere, too.

ioi said:
Can we start quoting parts when we do threads like this rather than just a random link?

well it's not very random... it's the official transcript from their earnings press conference, i.e. the primary source. in fact i intentionally didn't quote anything because i didn't want to impart bias to the reader.

if there's one specific aspect i want to discuss i would simply open up a thread specifically for that, and quote the relevent passage from the Q&A session.

the Wii is an epidemic.

Some explanation of what the link is would be nice in the OP, but yeah, it's a long Q&A and I'd rather not have it all in the OP hehe.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Basically its Iwata talking about Nintendo's success, but also discussing how he's upset that sales of Brain Training are lower in NA than in Europe and how he feels third parties missed the boat and haven't put much effort onto the Wii

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

Ok, started a new thread about this - moving my comments here instead.

Its a reallyt great interview IMO, and definitely worth reading (if you are interested in the industry in general...)

Here is one tidbit I think is really interesting, and highlights Nintendo's attitude as much as anything else:

"We would like Miyamoto to focus upon the games that his teams are developing. We would like him to focus his energies to realize the highest quality level so that other companies will think that they cannot duplicate it. I think it important for Nintendo's operations."

They are so afraid of other companies ripping their ideas off, they are forced to spend extra development time/polish just to prevent this from happening. I believe this is also working - and why 3rd parties tend to struggle with "poor" software on Ninty platforms.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Here is a comment about FPS games on the Wii, and what Nintendo is trying to achieve:

"Specifically, I heard they often say that FPS are more effectively played with keyboard and mouse rather than home video game systems' controllers. They can aim the target with mouse and move their characters with keyboard. Those who recognize that mouse and keyboard combination is the best for FPS are now sharing with us their impression that Wii Remote and Nunchack of Wii give them quite similar play feel and that they find some more potential with this new combination than with the existing controlling mechanism of other home console video game machines. Of course, no actual consumers have ever tested it yet, but I think it important for us to create the market where the developers will say, "Wii's controllers are perfectly suited for this genre of games." I think it is one of the important elements for us in order to expand the gaming population."

Gesta Non Verba

Game Assessment website

Iwata doesn't like SecondLife (or HOME???) - here is why:

"I personally have virtually no interest in Second Life. I don't think it will be considered as an important existence in the future. That is all I can say today. If I need to supplement my remarks, modern human beings have less and less time and energy to spend on any activity.

A great many things are changing with incredible speed. The energy one can spend on any entertainment has never been very big in the first place. With this background, I would define a video game as something to which a human being makes an input and from which the human being receives something more valuable than the labor needed to make the input. Maybe it is more of the definition of interactive entertainment than of video game. You touch something and, as the result, you receive something back. That something is more beneficial than what you originally did to get that result. In such a circumstance, people feel like continuing their efforts, without stopping them, I believe. If you receive a smaller reward than the energy you have spent, a lot of you won't feel like continuing. The reward varies depending on the software."

Gesta Non Verba

Game Assessment website