By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - .P Harrison: Third parties can only reach 40% of Wii owners.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=17557

Sony's Harrison: You Can't Get Wii's Whole Audience

At the "Lunch with the Luminaries" luncheon at GDC this year, Sony's president of worldwide studios Phil Harrison told EA Blueprint's Neil Young that making Wii games may not be as viable as third-party publishers think.

Due to competition with Nintendo's unstoppable games, according to Harrison, who was speaking at the invite-only press lunch: "Your addressable market is only 40% of the installed base."

Young countered that EA's recent successful Wii title Smarty Pants, which had its gestation in meetings at the last GDC less than a year ago with developers Planet Moon, was "very easy to build very quickly."

The EA executive suggested that it was "...fundamentally much more fun... almost like Xbox Live Arcade [development] to some degree" - he feels that's where the Wii's strength lies.

Around the Network

Are you sure he was talking third parties? I thought he was refering to Sony and the PS3.......

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Sorry-can't detect sarcasm now.

That's odd because recent weeks show Nintendo only has about 40% or less compared to other publishers... and that's including Wii sports/play in case any of you want to take them out.

Perhaps in Japan it might be as bad as 50-60%... but third parties are still better going Wii than PS3 there due to userbase.

clearly sarcasm, anyway young certainly put harris back in his hole

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Around the Network

Too bad that's still better than the 10% of people that use their PS3 for games...

See I can make up statistics too.

I am sure 3rd Parties would be REALLY sad to only reach a 40% of the Wii's audience... I guess they will have so settle on 10.08 million userbase.... But Wait? isn't that how big the PS3' is? ; )

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Actually, anyone would be glad to reach only 40% of 20 million people.

bigjon said:
I am sure 3rd Parties would be REALLY sad to only reach a 40% of the Wii's audience... I guess they will have so settle on 10.08 million userbase.... But Wait? isn't that how big the PS3' is? ; )

40% of the Wii's userbase would be around 9 million... which is probably why he picked 40% and not 50%. Though Sony's games don't make up as much of the PS3 market as Nintendo games do on the Wii market, it's probably similar size when you take out first party sales anyway.

Any idea what he based that on -- other than to pick a number which was less than Sony's PS3 installed base?

And notice he got shot down fairly quickly by a third-party developer.

I mean I know some units are being used as rehab machines and in senior centers. But I doubt its more than half 8*>

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV