By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What Does the 360 Price Drop Mean for Sony?

As I am sure most of you are aware, this Friday the Xbox 360 will see a price drop across Europe. I've been giving this some thought, and my personal opinion is that it shouldn't affect PS3 sale too much, at least not in the long run. The PS3 has been outselling the 360 across Europe for months despite the higher price. But will another £50 shaven off the 360 finally make it the runaway success Microsoft wants it to be? Again, I still think the answer is no. Microsoft ramble on about "history" and lower prices, but that didn't stop the Dreamcast from dropping out not long after the PS2 was on the market. I think it's the product that counts, not necessarily the price, and while I don't want this thread to be a fanboy bashing affair, I can't help but think the 360 is a poor product. With its lack of true HD functions and features, a pricey online platform, dire unreliability and poor hardware design in general, and a brand name unfamiliar to the majority of gamers, I honestly don't think this price reduction poses much of a threat. Or maybe I am wrong, what do you think? Something to lose sleep over or just another nail in Microsoft's coffin of desperation?

Around the Network

It will really be something if PS3 could get this current lead once the price drop effects are over without dropping it's price.

I am not a fan of regional price drops, worldwide ones get much more attention and have a bigger impact. This wouldn't have been that bad of a time to drop in North America and Japan either.

We don't even know what the 360 price drop means for Microsoft yet. We don't know if it will spike for a few weeks and stall, or pull a PS3 in Japan, and drop back to pre-price drop levels. We need to wait and see before we talk about long-term effects.

It will make a small difference but no where near as big as a PS3 price drop.

Nothing.

Europa don't care for the 360 and its dumb of MS that the biggest cut is on the worst sku they sale.

They needed the cut to survive the PS3s coming flood of games, if march 28 release date for GT5p is correct any sales jump from the cut will be very short lived.  GT5p will hurt 360 sales very badly there, euros love their GT.

Around the Network

Are we allowed to use the "360 had to drop the price 6 times and come out a year early to stay competitive" excuse yet?

lower ps3 sales

I'm not sure. As I recall the XBox had downright embarassing sales in Europe for the first few months - I and other GCN fans took great glee in taunting XB fanboys over the contorted PR statements MS was issuing at the time.

Anyway, once MS cut the price of the XB, sales skyrocketed, and it zoomed past the Cube. Seems to me there is some potential for the same thing to happen again.

11ht11 said:
lower ps3 sales

Wanna Bet?

Well, Sony Gaming division making money + Blu-Ray winning + xbox real price drop (not some 20+ dollar price drop before)

It probably means if Sony wasn't considering a price drop before, they should be now.

Of course, don't be surprise if Sony strongly deny there is going to be a price cut the next interview. Most likely you will hear the announcement in E3

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)