By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bill Gates may have to testify in Xbox fire case

The lawyer for the family of a teenage girl who was horribly burned in a house fire allegedly sparked by a faulty Xbox game console is threatening to haveMicrosoft (NSDQ: MSFT) chairman Bill Gates testify about the safety of his company's offshore manufacturing practices.

Attorney William Tinning said in a letter to Microsoft last week that he would seek "an apex deposition for Mr. Gates given his worldwide speeches about the inadequacies of capitalism and the need for his Warren Buffet-funded charitable trust to bridge the gap.

"This is in direct contrast with his business organization policies," wrote Tinning. Microsoft is "one of the largest employers of low wage earners in China for products built to the specification of his company which have resulted in massive recalls for safety issues," he added.

A copy of the letter has been obtained by InformationWeek.

Tinning said he would proceed with efforts to depose Gates unless Microsoft settles for at least $25 million.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=207000426

Apparently, this has happened before...

Around the Network

haha all i will say

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

wow, that sucks for the girl who got hurt,

Why?

Bill Gates is going to know next to nothing about it. Why would the chairman of a company know intrinsic details of a fairly minor divisions manufacturing safety? Surely they are just going for the press here (and as such a large settlement), there are people in MS who would know far more about the manufacturing of Xbox consoles than Bill does.

If the 360 caused the fire, then MS should pay up. Feel sorry for her.

Around the Network

I'm pretty sure this is the completely bs case where they claimed an Xbox 360 caused the fire but the 360 hadn't been launched at that time.

Upon realizing their stupidity, they quickly changed it to being about the original Xbox.
It's all highly suspect.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

I think when they filed they said Xbox 360 but meant the original Xbox. Microsoft did indeed issue a recall of power cords for some Xbox 1 consoles and the recall was covered by the media and on their website but I think the problem was that word obviously didn't get around to everyone.

I've noticed this is not only an issue with the original Xbox but in many other consumer products as well in which recalls are issued. I feel bad for the girl and I do hope she does get compensation but the fact remains that Microsoft handled the recall in the exact same way every other company handles them.

Bill Gates in court, this would make sony exces very happy.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions

Can they prove that it was the Xbox that started the fire? That's the deal breaker.