By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why I think a FF7 remake would be very akward.

This has nothing to do with what system it would be on. Also let it be known, that I really like FF7. This is not in anyway a critisism of the game itself.

FF7 is hands down the most popular Final Fantasy in the series, it has spawned spin off games, a movie, a ton of merchandise, and lord knows what else. Cloud is immortalized as a quiet loner badass with a past, that deep down cares. Sephiroth is oft considered one of the biggest bad asses in videogames. The story has been immortalized as something complex, and dark in tone. Watch "Advent children" and see the heroes perform bad ass fight routines, deliver stoic lines over orchestral scores. Play Crisis core and watch the bad ass cut scenes and bad asses being so frikkin bad....ass. FF7 just screams dark, complex and bad ass. Now just imagine playing these BAD ASS scenes with these mofos that can't be messed with.

Now go back and play FF7 on your old dusty PSX....eh...not too bad ass. It's actually quite cartoony, and filled with lots of what would almost be considered "kiddy" (by today's standard anyway) characters, dialogue, and scenes. Imagine cloud in glorious HD, looks like he stepped straight out from advent children...now he's cross dressing. Not only that, you actually spend half an hour walking around with this giant sword wielding bad ass collecting perfume and wigs (you have to win a squatting contest to win the wig). Imagine this extremely bad ass gang hanging out at an amusement park riding rollercoasters and playing minigames that involve moogles. Or interacting with any of the large number of characters that might as well have stepped right out of a bugs bunny cartoon (you could replace elmer fud with Heidegger, or Don Cornerio, or any other buffoon villians that just dance around, deliver corny lines, and then fail at whatever they are trying to do)

Now don't get me wrong, the game certainly had it's dark elements, and story points...but it was mixed in with a healthy dose of just flat out wierd cartoony parts as well, alot of that game was goofy as hell. The dialogue often times sounds like it came straight out of a teen novel. But all of that all worked on account of the chibi character models, and at that point in gaming history you could still cross dress, or do other goofy things, with really wierd or lame dialogue and lend yourself to a serious plot. Final Fantasy six was the same way. One of the main enemies is a talking squid that follows you around and makes trouble. But it was still a serious plot.

The FF7 mythos has grown into a bunch of dark serious bad asses doing dark serious bad ass things (especially the bad ass part). But the original source material reeks of 90s jrpg incongruency, and tween anime dialogue and characters. When it's not being dark and mysterious, it's being goofy as hell. Trying to translate the cartooniness of the original game into a lifelike serious characters would be incredibly akward. Or listening to them deliver lines that could've been written by a 15 year old making a fan-fiction. Nostalgia has us remember the game fondly, and rightly so. But since then it's taken on a decidely different tone than it originally had, and going back to the original may be a rude wake up call to those that think that cloud and sepiroth are the be all end all bad asses of the videogame world and that the story was a deep dark and complex ride through a steam punk world.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Around the Network

This thread needs more "bad ass"

ur use of badass was really annoying, but yea I can see what you're saying.

Imagine fighting Sephiroph in HD...

Imagine seeing all the summons in HD.

Imagine being able to relive your favorite RPG experience to date in HD.

That's why I think a FFVII remake would be full of win.

I was emphasizing the "bad ass". It's overuse is intentional. They really are marketed that way.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Around the Network

It's a good point, but could they downplay those cheeky elements? And would it cost the game a lot of its pleasures?

The overuse of "bad ass" is nearly as annoying as the overuse of "ultimately" by certain PR person.

I really don't mind the story. I would love a FFVII remake, to complete my Crisis Core story.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

did you not read any of that DmeisterJ? You're doing exactly what I figure most are doing. Remembering the cool parts that would look awesome if it were like Advent children except with you in control, and overlooking all the extremely akward cartoony, childish, aspects of it.

Imagine in HD cloud in a dress with tifa and aeris in a red room with don cornerio on a heart shaped bed. "I'll rip em off!" No!! I'll cut em off! Please, you wouldn't!...ect ect, que bad dialogue and bizarre akward moment that belongs in a manga meant for 13 year olds.

This is a far cry from the serious tone that the FF7 world has become known for. It would be incredibly incongruent and awkward to watch.

@ Vagabond

I imagine it, and I imagine it wouldn't bother me much... It was funny and cute... And gave some humor to the otherwise 'emo' and 'brooding' Cloud.

I'd love a remake.

The_vagabond7 said:

FF7 is hands down the most popular Final Fantasy in the series, it has spawned spin off games, a movie, a ton of merchandise, and lord knows what else. Cloud is immortalized as a quiet loner badass with a past, that deep down cares. Sephiroth is oft considered one of the biggest bad asses in videogames. The story has been immortalized as something complex, and dark in tone. Watch "Advent children" and see the heroes perform bad ass fight routines, deliver stoic lines over orchestral scores. Play Crisis core and watch the bad ass cut scenes and bad asses being so frikkin bad....ass. FF7 just screams dark, complex and bad ass. Now just imagine playing these BAD ASS scenes with these mofos that can't be messed with.

I see lots and lots of opinions there.