By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii: Sony doubts longevity

i found an article in german about the wii success with a statement of
Sony SCEA-Chef Jack Tretton - i will try to translate it:

German:
"Aber wenn du dir die Industrie anschaust, jede Industrie: sie macht normalerweise
technologisch gesehen keinen Schritt zurück. Der Controller ist innovativ, aber Wii
ist grundsätzlich ein wiederverwendeter Gamecube. Wenn der innovative Controller
der zentrale Punkt ist, um den es bei dem ganzen System geht, musst du dich schon fragen,
ob das langfristig gedacht ist."

English:
But when you take a look at industry, every industry:
usually technology does't go a step back.
the controller is innovative but the wii is in principle a again-used Gamecube.
When the innovative controller is the central/main point of the whole system, you should
ask yourself if it is on a long-term basis meant

Source

very interesting  is that Microsofts Peter Moore found more nice words for the wii

"I like the experience, the price and Nintendos content"

Around the Network

they be right. old tech may it be cheep does not last long.

Blue3 said:
they be right. old tech may it be cheep does not last long.

Yeah, look at the PS2. It was outdated by PCs the day it launched, just like its successor.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

XD

Yes you doubt Sony, yes you doubt.

This is from the Fortune magazine article and it is also on money.cnn.com...it is just translated for German speaking audiences.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

@TheSource yes, you're right - its from the Fortune magazine maybe you can post the link from money.cnn.com ?

Yup. The Fortune editor commented this with something like "this shows that Sony is caught in an engineer's mindframe."

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

I can't believe sony is claiming old tech never lasts considering the PS2 is selling way better than the PS3...

@Kytiara & RolStoppable rofl - you are both so right :)

People said the same things about the DS.