By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I want to buy a wii but...

The 512 Mb of memory is scary do they have like an add on Hard drive i can buy?

Proud Owner of  a Wii and Xbox 360 and a PS3(When I get the money)

Around the Network

SD cards, to my knowledge, is the only way for external memory. There is hope that Nintendo will announce a hard drive at E3 but currently, no.

oh dang

Proud Owner of  a Wii and Xbox 360 and a PS3(When I get the money)

Don't let that be the deciding factor as it really isn't a big deal if you have a 360 or a ps3.

Wii is not like those systems man...it doesn't do media center, online or downloads very well so you won't need more than 512 for a while. All you can download are classic games which are very small and newly Wiiware titles which aren't that big either. Unless you want to replay every n64 game ever made you wont have that problem for a while...

Wii is a great console if you have 3 or 4 friends coming over and you all want to have a good time and not take turns waiting for the other person to finish playing. That is why I got it...and still kep it around.

Boom Blox got played more last week at my place than GTA4 when company was over...

Everstar said:

You can use a 2GB SD card, which is about $7 these days. That's a ton of space if you consider the content -- you're not downloading movies, after all.

I'm a 360/Wii owner.  The wii is a lot more fun for us.

Around the Network

its just not that big of a deal.

I have 10 vc games and every channel and I still have half of my memory available. I have played a ton of games that i have bought and rented. I still have all of their save files.

Worst case scenario, if you buy a ton of vc games or wiiware games you can buy a cheap 2G SD card or delete something and re-download it later if you decide to use it again.

TheBigFatJ said:
Everstar said:

You can use a 2GB SD card, which is about $7 these days. That's a ton of space if you consider the content -- you're not downloading movies, after all.

I'm a 360/Wii owner. The wii is a lot more fun for us.

Don't forget to mention that you can't play games off the SD card. When your memory gets full, you basically have to store a game on the card if you don't plan on playing it for a week and then when your'e done with another game put that one of the card and swap it with the one that you want to play...etc etc...

disolitude said:
TheBigFatJ said:
Everstar said:

Don't forget to mention that you can't play games off the SD card. When your memory gets full, you basically have to store a game on the card if you don't plan on playing it for a week and then when your'e done with another game put that one of the card and swap it with the one that you want to play...etc etc...

I don't know anyone who has ever run into this problem.  You can store tons and tons of games on the Wii, so if you were moving games off, you'd probably be moving like 20 at a time, not one game back and forth.

More likely, you'd be moving your "MySims" save data off, since that requires a ton of space (I think the use the Wii's storage memory as a cache). 

^I'll also add that the transfer rate to SD is so agonizingly slow that you'll get gray hairs waiting for them to complete, so don't think it's a simple matter of bouncing games back and forth with the immediacy of a single button press.

TheBigFatJ said:
disolitude said:
TheBigFatJ said:
Everstar said:

I don't know anyone who has ever run into this problem. You can store tons and tons of games on the Wii, so if you were moving games off, you'd probably be moving like 20 at a time, not one game back and forth.

More likely, you'd be moving your "MySims" save data off, since that requires a ton of space (I think the use the Wii's storage memory as a cache).

I agree...nevertheless I find it a hassle as I have loads of VC games. But as exindguy said above...the write speed of SD is rediculously slow. Read speed is pretty good...but it takes 10 mins to transfer 1000 blocks worth of games.