By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Where are my PS3 rpg's?

The PlayStation 2, being known as a Japanese console, was famous for the amount of Japanese and Western RPGs in it's library. With games like Kingdom Hearts I, Kingdom Hearts II, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, Persona 3, Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, Wild Arms 3, Final Fantasy X, and Suikoden III, and more in it's library, it was the premier console for RPG fans.

Today, the PLAYSTATION 3 features a little amount of RPGs. Some would not even be considered an RPG, even though it is listed in that genre. Lets go down a list of currently released RPGs for the PLAYSTATION 3, or games listed as an RPG.

- Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
- Enchanted Arms
- Folklore (Exclusive)
- Marvel Ultimate Alliance
- Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom (Exclusive)

Those are about it. Over a year and a half, the PLAYSTATION 3 has been in our homes and we've only been catered to about one or two good RPGs. Although, we have a great line-up of RPGs coming "sometime" in the future. Lets take a look at that list.

- Alpha Protocol (Q1 2009)
- Amphibian Man (Exclusive) (TBA)
- Borderlands (2009)
- Cross Edge (Exclusive) (2009)
- Disgaea 3 (Exclusive) (2008)
- Elveon (2009)
- Eternal Sonata (Stolen Exclusive) (2008)
- Fallout 3 (October 2008)
- Final Fantasy XIII (Exclusive) (2009)
- Final Fantasy Versus XIII (Exclusive) (2009)
- Free Realms (Exclusive) (Q3 2008)
- Golden Axe: Beast Rider (2008)
- Gothic IV (2009)
- The Last Remnant (2008)
- Rise of the Argonauts (2008)
- Shin Megami Tensei PS3 (Exclusive) (2009)
- Star Ocean 4 (Exclusive) (2009)
- Steambot Chronicles 2 (Exclusive) (TBA)
- Sunrise Eiyuutan PS3 (Exclusive) (TBA)
- Two Worlds (Stolen Exclusive) (2008)
- Valkyria Chronicles (Exclusive) (November 2009)
- White Knight Chronicles (Exclusive) (2009)

Then there are all the projects yet untitled (all exclusive):

- Cavia PS3 Action-RPG
- Gust PS3 RPG Project
- Hudson Soft PS3 RPG Project
- Konami PS3 RPG
- Namco PS3 RPG Project
- Success PS3 RPG
- tri-Crescendo PS3 Project

Now as you can see, the PLAYSTATION 3 has the majority in exclusives. My only downs are not having Mass Effect, Tales of Vesperia, and Infinite Undiscovery on the system. The only thing I wonder is: why is it taking so long to deploy these RPGs? As of now we are stuck with shooting (mostly), racing, action, adventure, fighting, and puzzle titles. Need some motivation? Here is my $60 bucks.

http://scrawlfx.com/2008/05/where-are-all-my-playstation-3-rpgs/

Edit: Tales of vesperia is a timed exlusive for the 360. I dont know the article didnt point that out. 

Around the Network

They're coming in......eventually.

MS bought some of the early theoretical ones.

But the 360 breaks, so.

EDIT: that's a lot of upcoming exclusives!  Plus, you could also play Persona, Disgaea 2, that recent space fantasy game, and then indeed most of the PS2 rpg library, if you have BC.

The PS3 is the most 'westernized' Playstation system to date...the Wii will probably end up with the biggest number of jrpgs.

It will come eventually, we will get a few RPGs this year, but big hitters will likely be next year with the coming of FFXIII and versus.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Around the Network

All of them are in DS, RPG´s in DS is like FPS in PS3-Xbox360.

Where are my PS3 rpg's?...

...on the 360 and DS.

I also love how the article says now we can obviously see the PS3 has the most even though they didn't bother listing any others (I have no idea of the statement is true or not, it's just funny they didn't bother listing any others).

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:

But the 360 breaks, so.

EDIT: that's a lot of upcoming exclusives! Plus, you could also play Persona, Disgaea 2, that recent space fantasy game, and then indeed most of the PS2 rpg library, if you have BC.

so people are not going to play blue dragon or lost oddyyssy because the 360 breaks? 

Alot of people in Japan didn't seem to mind.

I don't recall SquareEnix announcing StarOcean4 as PS3 exclusive.....

ToastyJaguar said:
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:

But the 360 breaks, so.

EDIT: that's a lot of upcoming exclusives! Plus, you could also play Persona, Disgaea 2, that recent space fantasy game, and then indeed most of the PS2 rpg library, if you have BC.

so people are not going to play blue dragon or lost oddyyssy because the 360 breaks?

People shouldn't play Blue Dragon to begin with, there are alot of aspects of that game that's just plain annoying.

bbsin said:

I don't recall SquareEnix announcing StarOcean4 as PS3 exclusive.....

ToastyJaguar said:
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:

But the 360 breaks, so.

People shouldn't play Blue Dragon to begin with, there are alot of aspects of that game that's just plain annoying.

I know, i quit playing it because i got annoyed. But rpg fans seem to love it.