By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - NVidia: Over 30 million GeForce 8 series cards have been shipped...

From Eurogamer:

There is now a justifiable return on investment for making good 3D, good graphics in your games, because there is a very large installed base of GeForce gamers. We estimate that we have over 180 million active GeForce users. That's a much bigger installed base than PS3 or Xbox 360!

[...]

With over 30 million GeForce 8-series GPUs shipped, there's a good return on investment for that - especially since the physics acceleration on the PC is transferable back to console, or vice versa.

People say that PC gaming is dying?  And this doesn't even include all the PC gamers like me that are still using 7000 series cards, or all the ATI users out there.

Oh, and to the people that ignore the PC when comparing exclusives because "few people use PCs for gaming," what say you? 30 million is larger than the install base of any current gen console, and that's only a portion of the PC gaming community.

Around the Network

The vast majority of those "Geforce 8 cards" would be Geforce 8400 cards (potentially for laptops) which can not play any new PC game at any decent level of quality ... On top of that, many of the higher end cards would have sold 2 or 3 cards to a single end user.

PC Gaming isn't dying. I'm a PC Gamer and I use a GeForce 7600 512 mb video card.

It's not like every PC gamer upgrades to the best all the time, most of us don't actually its just a select few hardcore that do, but even then that hardcore number is in the millions. I only do a major upgrade every 3-5 years and I've never missed out on being able to play a game (a major upgrade being one that is over $100).

PC Gamer
HappySqurriel said:

The vast majority of those "Geforce 8 cards" would be Geforce 8400 cards (potentially for laptops) which can not play any new PC game at any decent level of quality ... On top of that, many of the higher end cards would have sold 2 or 3 cards to a single end user.

Hey i run an 8400GS, it can run most games except for Crysis and AC. As long as it pays a good percentage of titles who cares about graphic quality as long as the game is fun.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:
HappySqurriel said:

Hey i run an 8400GS, it can run most games except for Crysis and AC. As long as it pays a good percentage of titles who cares about graphic quality as long as the game is fun.

For such a PC gaming whore like yourself, you really need to get yourself a shizzle dizzle card. I suggest a radeon 4850 because you hate AMD and you'd never buy an AMD card anyway.

Tease.

Around the Network

I'm among the few with an ATI card hehe...I got a 3850 for cheap and I have a CrossFire board...so I figured I could buy another 3850 later this year for ubercheap, have a good dual video card setup til summer next year, when I can upgrade with one good card, be it a 4800 series or a good Nvidia.

This 3850's great though.  Much better than an 8600 (probably at least 20 fps better in every game) and a lower price.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

im one of those geforce 8 series owners

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

crappy old school NES games are more entertaining than next-gen games.

ssj12 said:
HappySqurriel said:

try getting an 8500 its cheap and plays all the games including crysis

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

I have both a 8800gts and an 8600gt. Both good, play every game while my 8800 plays everything better.