By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - "XBox360 controller looks like an Alien Spaceship" says Cliffy B.

Speaking in a recent interview, Epic's Cliff Blezinski has commented that the current crop of Xbox controller's look like alien spaceships and he sincerely hopes that the next Xbox will come with a pad that features fewer buttons. He also said they could do things like a built in camera or a little motion sensitivity.

"Epic's Cliff Bleszinski has said that current control pads look like alien spaceships, and hopes the Microsoft's next Xbox will come with a pad with fewer buttons.

"I hope if there's a new Xbox that there'll be fewer buttons on the controller," he told us during a chat about Gears 2's multiplayer.

"This is purely me speculating in my own realm of game development, but if you look at a controller right now it looks like an alien spaceship," he added, going on to point at alternative methods of interaction.

"I think you could do things with a built-in camera or a little motion sensitivity. You look at the Wii controller with less buttons - they added functionality by doing waggle. Not a lot of games use the waggle well, but Super Mario Galaxy for example uses it perfectly. Zak and Wiki uses it rather well," he said. N"

Source: Neogaf

Apologies if posted already, but I couldn't help but post for the humor. :)

Come on people... Alien Spaceship?

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

Maybe so, but it's the best-controlling 'traditional' alien spaceship there is

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

So in other words, the guy that hates the Wii 'cause he can't sell his engine for it wants MS to use it's controller ideas anyway.

Um ok? I think anything could look like a space ship since there are so many different designs.

Edit: Also could he be hinting at "newton"?

thekitchensink said:
Maybe so, but it's the best-controlling 'traditional' alien spaceship there is

What if it was actually a spaceship?

That's pretty cool, now, everytime I play my xbox, I will think of the little people inside it controlling my games

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Around the Network

It doesn't looks like any of the alien spaceships I've seen.

fazz said:
It doesn't looks like any of the alien spaceships I've seen.

He must have been high.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

It feels like a good quality controller as does the Wii-Mote.

Coincidentally I picked up a PS3 controller today for the first time and to me it didn't have the same quality feel as the other two.

IMO, more important than the mentions of extraterrestrial aeronautical design is his pretty clear wish that 360's controller was more like the Wiimote. Is this the same Cliffy B we used to know?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957