By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why Sony's E3 conference was pretty lackluster in terms of Japanese support

The PlayStation Premiere - Sony Japan's own mini-E3.

After E3's downsizing in late '06, Sony decided to split up their big announcements for 2007.  Since they no longer had the king of all trade shows via which they could show off their products to the world, they decided to show off their advancements in hardware (big firmware updates, price drops) and more western centric titles (the epic Killzone 2 unveiling) at E307 from July 11-13, and then show off their Japanese centric titles at their own private event in Japan on July 17th - the PlayStation Premiere.

Last year, the PlayStation Premiere came at us right out of left field.  Just days after a lackluster E3 that contained little more than Killzone 2 and an InFamous teaser, sites across the web started reporting on a hefty number of PlayStation titles being announced at a show in Japan.  This was the first we ever heard the name "PlayStation Premiere," and the only knowledge of the event we had prior to this was a post from the mod Duckroll on NeoGAF saying that there would be a "big event" for Sony in Japan in just a few days. 

Why is the PlayStation Premiere significant?  Because last year they announced these titles at the show:

Disgaea 3
Dynasty Warriors 6
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
Metal Gear Online
Nobi Nobi Boy
Valkyria Chronicles

And they also showed new FFXIII/Versus footage, an MGS4 gameplay demonstration, and they announced the CC:FFVII PSP bundle as well as new PSP colors for Japan.

Given how much they showed off at the event last year, and given the complete lack of Japanese titles at Sony's E3 press conference, I believe that there will be yet another PlayStation Premiere sometime soon, and that with it will come some very big announcements.

To read more about last year's PlayStation Premiere, take a look at 1UP's article about the event.

Around the Network

that's what I think as welll,,,they didn't even show motorstorm 2 or killzone 2 ,,let alone new games.(well except for few new games like Mag,GOWIII teaser,,,and some good PSN titles)

P.S did anyone find ragdoll kongfu(PSN title) fun?it looked fun to me

yepper, E3 just isn't the place to go for Japanese developed games. Still pissed I didn't get any Team Ico though, and no amount of logic will make it go away.

SpartanFX said:
that's what I think as welll,,,they didn't even show motorstorm 2 or killzone 2 ,,let alone new games.(well except for few new games like Mag,GOWIII teaser,,,and some good PSN titles)

They did show Killzone 2 and MotorStorm 2 at E3.  Just not at the conference.  And those aren't Japanese titles. 

You can get brand new trailers for both those titles off the PS Store right now.  In 1080p, no less. :D

Torillian said:
yepper, E3 just isn't the place to go for Japanese developed games. Still pissed I didn't get any Team Ico though, and no amount of logic will make it go away.

I hope we see something next week.  If not, TGS.

Around the Network

E3`08 - American expo.
TGS`08 - Japan expo.

TGS`08 in 2,5 months. =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

The absence of Japanese PS3 titles at E3 was pretty clear. They didn't even show GT5, which sells the best in the west.

I sure hope there is a similar event soon. Want to here about Team ICO's game and more info on WKC.

In other words: Why pimp Japanese games at an American conference?

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

Review before posting: http://vgchartz.com/forum/rules.php

So when is the "PlayStation Premiere.

I hope this turns out to be true. I prefer Japanneese games over western, and the Ps3 seems to be scarce with those, for the future ( at least in comparison with ps1 , ps2)