By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Anecdotal - Smarthouse: X360 Failure Rates Above 30%

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Home/D3Q7G8S2?page=1

"Retailers are claiming that Microsoft has had to handle a failure rate of over 30% with their Xbox 360 console. More than 100 consumers have written to SmartHouse complaining of either poor service from Microsoft or total failure of their gaming console. One consumer was even given back a refurbished unit in exchange for their original Xbox console."

Around the Network

I would have thought it was even higher than that, but this is just a small sample.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

"Other consumers have complained of sending off their Xbox for repair only to get a different refurbished unit back."

I don't get this one quote. I mean, isn't that how things are supposed to work? It works to make the turnaround time faster (you get a "new" one as soon as they receive yours).

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

people who are upset are louder than those that are happy...

like me, no problems... ever... even after 2 consoles.

KruzeS said:
"Other consumers have complained of sending off their Xbox for repair only to get a different refurbished unit back."

I don't get this one quote. I mean, isn't that how things are supposed to work? It works to make the turnaround time faster (you get a "new" one as soon as they receive yours).

My only guess with this is if you have a 20gb hard drive and they swap your entire console with a refurb. That could be a problem, cause your profile, saved games, movies, files, etc, are all on that hard drive. Other than that, I wouldn't complain. And, as I understand, you're supposed to take the hard drive out when you send your console in for repair. Or at least, I would, since the hard drive isn't the part of the console that is known to fail.

Around the Network
KruzeS said:

Yeah, people just don't understand repair processes.  I used to work at BBY sending off hundreds of customer units for repair.  If they give out refurbs, they're doing you a favor.  People expect to get a brand new unit and throw a fit if they don't.  Nevermind that we paid for shipping both ways and gave them a repaired product for free...

FWIW, in the 8 months following the 360's launch, I only had one customer bring one in that wasn't working.  And it wasn't red-ringed out, it just wouldn't read one of his games.

well, really it's just a matter of time before the hard drive fails. Normal HDs will only get a couple dozen thousand hours of use before the motor wears out (or whatever). That's one of the main reasons I am glad the Wii has flash storage. Sure it may be smaller, but it means the CD drive is one of the few moving parts in the system, which bodes well for longevity.

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

That actually depends on the quality of the HDD... if you pick up a cheapo from best buy it will burn out quickly... but you'll pay .40 per GB.... servers on the other hand will have a cost of over $800 per GB but are much sturdier with almost twice the read/write speed....

From what i've heard there have been very few problems with the HDD (one with Oblivion but that was game specific) the problem has been with the motherboard... I think microsoft put extra money in the HDD but should have put more into the motherboard

eques judicii said:

That actually depends on the quality of the HDD... if you pick up a cheapo from best buy it will burn out quickly... but you'll pay .40 per GB.... servers on the other hand will have a cost of over $800 per GB but are much sturdier with almost twice the read/write speed....

From what i've heard there have been very few problems with the HDD (one with Oblivion but that was game specific) the problem has been with the motherboard... I think microsoft put extra money in the HDD but should have put more into the motherboard

I'd agree with that. In our home, we have a couple of old Dell Worstations that run Pentium IIIs, and those HDs are still fine. However, another PC in our house is only a few years old, and yet the HD already has bad sectors on it, causing it to crash/restart randomly.

One person's experience or opinion never shows the general consensus

PSN ID: Tispower

MSN: tispower1@hotmail.co.uk

Yes the problem was with the motherboard. Not the HD. You don't even send in the HD, you take it out before you return the console.
I'm not quite sure what the guy in the article is complaining about. He got a newly refurbished unit. If he wanted the same exact unit, it probably would have taken more then the 2 day turnover. I'm not sure what this would do unless he had a favorite sticker on it.

As far as 30%... This is a gross exageration.