By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The power of the Wii

I'm going to do a bit of a comparison between the Wii and the last gen consoles, just to clear up a few issues.

CPU clock speed

Xbox 733 Mhz

GC   485 Mhz

PS2  299 Mhz

Wii   729 Mhz

And while I don't have any stats to back me up here, it seems that the Wii's more modern powerPC processor is more powerful than the xbox's, which is a downgraded pentium III

Ram

Xbox   64 mb at 200Mhz

GC      43 mb at 324Mhz

PS2    32 mb not sure about the clock speed

Wii     88 mb not sure about clock speed

Can we all agree, the Wii is much more powerful than the xbox?

Around the Network

Last Generation Graphics, Next Generation Control.

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

The Chronicles Of Riddick look's much better than any wii game.

The Wii is missing some key components that the Xbox had.

Doesn't effect the game play one bit.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Wii is marginally graphically better than the original XBox. There is not much difference between the High End console of last generation XBox's tech specs in comparison to the Low End console of the current generation Wii's tech specs. I assume your data is correct.

Around the Network

I think they are about equal in visual processing (xbox and wii) with the slight edge to the wii. This is a pure gaming educated guess...I spent many hours playing many games on both.

However considering that only nintendo is pushing the visuals on the wii, most games don't look as impressive as the cream of the crop on the xbox.

Ninja gaiden black, chronicles of riddick, doom 3, Halo 2...all great looking. Far Cry on xbox looks much better than far cry on Wii too.

It uses half the electricity of the GC.

Reality is, the GC is 2 Wiis duct taped together.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

This stuff doesn't always translate cleanly to more power, but the Wii and the original Xbox are definitely comparable in power.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

I swear somebody told me the Gamecube was more powerful than the xbox....obviously they were incorrect

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

That 729Mhz you name right there is an assumption made by some people based on various things. Nintendo has never stated anything about the real specs of the Wii... I guess we all know that the Wii isn't a powerhouse, but there simply isn't data to prove that it is somewhat around 700Mhz. Also; 'power' as in the way you post it in your thread-title cannot only be lead back to the CPU or the GPU. It is a combination of those previously named pieces of hardware in combination with the RAM the BUS, the pipelines through which the dataflow goes and a variety of other things. For example; the Gamecube had a cheaper tech in it then the PS2... Yet The Gamecube was more 'efficient' in the use of the power in it's tech-components and the way these components were adjusted to eachother, so Gamecube could benefit more from it's available power then the PS2... Which is noticeable in several games (like Resident evil 4 or Tales of Symphonia and various multiplatformtitles like Splinter Cell).

THE NETHERLANDS