By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - WILL Blu ray go to xbox 720?

Does anyone think it is a possiblity that Blu Ray will be going to Microfsts next console?

I personally think that it is unrealistic as Microsoft would have to pay Sony Billions to use it.  And from their point of view it would be directly financing their enemy.

Saying that Microsoft could afford it and it is a big advantage Sony has over Microsoft.

Your Thoughts

DISCUSS

Around the Network

Its pretty much without question that they will use Blu-Ray. The technology will be cheap by then.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

yeah i dont see why microsoft would not use it...honestly dvd will be a thing of the past by the time 720 rolls out.

but will microsoft really have to pay sony to use blu-ray?

Most likely. Both it and the PS4 will probably be able to use those 100gb-single-layer ones. And Microsoft would have to pay the BLU-RAY DISC ASSOCIATION MILLIONS of dollars.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
akuma587 said:
Its pretty much without question that they will use Blu-Ray. The technology will be cheap by then.

Actually.  Recent rumours have them using a propriatary drive with high capacity to limit piracy.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

so are you saying SONY wont gain any money from it going to 720?

i mean like hasnt Sony sort of got it as a EXCLUSIVE.

markers said:
yeah i dont see why microsoft would not use it...honestly dvd will be a thing of the past by the time 720 rolls out.

but will microsoft really have to pay sony to use blu-ray?

People overestimate how much money goes directly to Sony.  The royalty fee is paid and is split up amongst many of the BDA members, with larger percentages going to those who hold technology patents.  Even some of the movie studios like Warner Brothers have joint rights to some of the patents. 

Sony is one of the bigger fish in terms of who gets the royalties obviously since they were one of the key developers.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

starcraft said:
akuma587 said:

Actually.  Recent rumours have them using a propriatary drive with high capacity to limit piracy.

Let them have fun wasting their money with that...and we all know how MS designing its own stuff has worked out in the past.

So im estimating that Sony would get 1/5 of money paid by Microsoft then possibly? so we are talking :

Billions$$$$$

ollie3650 said:
So im estimating that Sony would get 1/5 of money paid by Microsoft then possibly? so we are talking :

Billions$$$$$

Dude it's highly doubtful that it will be billions. By 2011 Blu Ray will be out for about 6(?) years and Microsoft wont build them on their own, but buy it cheap from some chinese/taiwanese/whatever hardware manufacturer.

And by that time i doubt that theyll pay more than about 30$ per blu ray drive. And from my understanding the manufacturer has to pay the licencing fees.