By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - An attempt of an analysis of the share of the dif. consoles on VGChartz

Okay, just a few different random things.

The speed of the different forums.

300 threads ago. (the threads a day isn't exact)

Sales forum: 11-15th August. About 10 new threads a day.

Gaming forum: 2-3rd September. About 35 new threads a day.

Nintendo forum: 24-26th August. 16-18 new threads a day.

Sony forum: 28th August. About 20 new threads a day

Microsoft forum: 26th August. About 18 threads a day.

PC forum: 2nd July. About 4 new threads a day.

This is an interesting turn, as when I joined, the sales forum was the biggest, in front of Nintendo, and then gaming. Sony and Microsoft weren't even close.

Just as a side, from the 300 on page 40-50, Wii had 20 new threads a day, Ps3 had 16.

For the total time over the last 2100 threads, there are made about 24 on the Nintendo forum, 20.5 on the Sony forum, and a shockingly low 7 on the Microsoft forum.

Hits/number of owners pr game.

Of the top 10 most hit games, 6 are Ps3, 3 are Wii, and 1 is X360. An interesting change from the 9 Wii and 1 X360 that it was just a few months ago.

In the top 50, Ps3 has 13. Wii has 16 and X360 has 10.

The top owned games

Super Mario Galaxy - 1098 owners

Brawl - 720 owners

Halo 3 - 480 owners

Uncharted - 460 owners

MGS 4 - 450 owners

Mario Kart Wii - 430 owners

Resistance: 420 owners

GTA IV Ps3 - 330 owners

GTA IV x360 - 230 owners

I'm not going to tell my opinion on the numbers in the OP, but I might later (as I don't want my take on the numbers to be in focus, but rather the numbers).

Any ideas of numbers I could add are welcome.

I tried to check with predictions league, but we're about as crappy with every console, so it proves nothing.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Around the Network

cool

Pswii & SOtendo seem to be ruling the roost

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

yay for japanese companies =)

Jo21 said:
yay for japanese companies =)

Yay!

Regarding the hits per game.

I am pretty positive some have been artificially increased by someone, because at one point Mario Galaxy had a lead of 2:1 over Halo3, and I see no reason for it to turn around when Halo launched 1st.

Similarly there are a good few Sony based games that seem oddly high.

It might have been Griffin? as he did the same thing with the profile hits increasing those he thought were avid Sony fans.

Around the Network

After some nice PM's regarding this thread (surprisingly enough), I decided to add some more stuff.

Okay, the polls. http://www.vgchartz.com/poll/results.php

If you only want the hard numbers, and the conclusion I write, skip over the next underlined area.

If the polls were correctly created, and there was no bias, they would peak at the middle options, and have lower on both sides.

This is almost the case with the Wii. It peaks at 40-41M, and is lower on both sides of that. On X360, it is far, far on the low side, and with Ps3 it is about even with everything.

Okay, now, I'm trying to do an analysis.

The total who vote for the lowest option are rabidly against the console.

The ones who vote for the highest are just as much pro the console.

The ones 2nd closest to the end is pro/against the console, but are probably realistic.

The ones in the middle are so unbiased we're going to have a problem determining.

Okay. Starting with the Wii.

16% voted for 36-37M. That's out of the question, and thus the people who voted for it are obviously trying to lower the average.

12.5% voted for 46-47M. That's slightly more likely than 36-37M, but far from likely.

This means that about 1/8 people on the site are unrealistically pro the Wii, and about 1/6 are equally silly against it.

That seems logical, considering the Wii is the most hated console ever (at least on the Internet overall).

The ones one inside that are relatively equal to the previous, and just build up under the same argument.

Over to the Ps3.

15% voted for 17 Million. That's equally unrealistic to the Wii's lowest option, and has the roughly same average.

17% voted for 22 Million. Not realistic, probably about as realistic as the Wii hitting 46M, but this is perhaps slightly more realistic.

The first number was higher than I would have expected. 1/6,5 are greatly against the Ps3. This is a surprise to me. I had figured it should be around 1/10, but the "hate" against Ps3 is on VGChartz almost as big as with Wii.

1/6 being too pro the Ps3 seems probable, considering my previous assumptions (in OP), have said that there are sligthly more Ps3 owners than Wii owners on the site.

Both the two above seem to have slightly high numbers, considering that the numbers are opposite for the other 2 (2nd furthest out ones). They're at 14% slightly against Ps3, and 13.5% slightly pro it. So realistically, they should both be a bit lower.

Almost finished. 360 now.

This one has a problem though. The options are a little high.

Still, I'll try to do it.

36% voted for the bottom opinion for X360.

36% aren't unrealistically against it, but still - it shows that there are more X360 "haters" than Ps3 and Wii "haters". Realistically, this should be ~ 1/4, or 25%.

Also, 5% being unrealistically pro the 360 is wrong, as the options are too high. We should rather add the top 2 options together, and subtract slightly from that. Some somewhere around 8%, or 1/12 are too pro the 360.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

So to sum up the numbers.

Wii: 14-18% are overly negative against it. 10-14% are overly pro it.

Ps3: 13-17% are overly against it. 15-19% are overly pro it.

X360: 22-28% are overly against it. 5-10% are overly pro it.

So if we take this, we can make an assumtion that:

1/4 of the site is Wii only owners.

1/3 of the site is Ps3 only owners.

1/13 on the site is X360 only owners.

Around 1/3 of the site own multiple consoles.

I also find this kind of comforting, as at least half the site is able to make founded predictions, which is far less than I have had a feeling it was lately.

The "who would win in a fight" also suggests that most of the numbers here shoudl be correct, although the poll suggests there are slightly less Ps3 owners than I suggest here.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

If anyone has an idea of how to improve anything, or add anything - tell me.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS