By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Dow index no longer over 9000;GM shares at 58-year low;WSJ:recession's here

Today the Dow index dropped to 8579, its lowest level in five years. General Motors dropped 29% in a single day to its lowest level since 1950.

Then Wall Street Journal published this, the result of a survey of several economists:

http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-budgeting/article/105935/Economists-Expect-U.S.-Crisis-to-Deepen

The U.S. economy has sunk into a recession and government action is critical to stem the damage, according to economists in the latest Wall Street Journal forecasting survey.

"We're in the middle of a very dark tunnel," said Brian Fabbri of BNP Paribas, referring to the worsening credit crunch. "Each day we see another crack in the system."

Those cracks are quickly adding up. On average, the 52 economists surveyed now expect gross domestic product to contract in the third and fourth quarters of this year, as well as the first quarter of 2009.

This is the first time that survey forecasts for those periods have turned negative. If those predictions bear out, it would mark the first time U.S. GDP—the total value of goods and services produced—has contracted for three consecutive quarters in more than a half century. Economists put the odds of recession in the next 12 months at 89%, up from 60% in last month's survey.

It is a challenging scenario for the next president, as the election moves into the home stretch. Either Sen. John McCain or Sen. Barack Obama likely will face an economy in the midst of recession on Inauguration Day, even if the credit crisis begins to ease. The new administration will have to get up to speed quickly, taking over the largest government intervention since the Great Depression.

Among economists surveyed, 54% said they think the next president should launch an economic-stimulus package in January.

Economists were divided on where the stimulus should go. Some 13% said it should be used to increase food stamps and unemployment benefits; 9% preferred infrastructure spending; 4% favored taxpayer rebates and 28% said it should be some mix of those options.

(...)

Tight credit markets have exacerbated the downturn. The unemployment rate stood at 6.1% in September, up from 5% as recently as April, amid job losses during every month of 2008. The economists expect an average of 74,000 job losses a month for the next 12 months with the unemployment rate reaching 6.8% by June, a level last seen in 1993.

(...)

"For much of the year, policy makers warned about financial headwinds," said Lou Crandall of Wrightson ICAP. "If the credit mechanism deteriorates further, we'll hit a financial brick wall instead."

(...)

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Honestly...im kinda scared right now.

Thank God I remembered to wear a sweater today.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Well. That's going to hurt my dad's retirment fund.

under 9000!

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Around the Network

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

I understand that this makes me a selfish dick, but (about) 30 months ago I started to see several fundimental flaws in the ecconomy and I moved my entire portfolio into the safest investments I could find and as a result I am amazingly pleased that the market fell this far.

One thing I have noticed over that timeframe is financial and real estate analysts are just like videogame analysts in that they seem to be the last people aware that the market has changed.

so what good will that 700B be?

crap, well atleast it didn't lose half its value yet

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

HappySqurriel said:

I understand that this makes me a selfish dick, but (about) 30 months ago I started to see several fundimental flaws in the ecconomy and I moved my entire portfolio into the safest investments I could find and as a result I am amazingly pleased that the market fell this far.

One thing I have noticed over that timeframe is financial and real estate analysts are just like videogame analysts in that they seem to be the last people aware that the market has changed.

30 months, eh? Nice call!

Okami

To lavish praise upon this title, the assumption of a common plateau between player and game must be made.  I won't open my unworthy mouth.

Christian (+50).  Arminian(+20). AG adherent(+20). YEC(+20). Pre-tribulation Pre-milleniumist (+10).  Republican (+15) Capitalist (+15).  Pro-Nintendo (+5).  Misc. stances (+30).  TOTAL SCORE: 195
  http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=43870 <---- Fun theology quiz