By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When the wii stops selling out....

When the wii stops selling out do you think Nintendo will give a price cut? 

Also, how long will it stay not sold out before the price drops, and how much do you think the price will drop?

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

I don't think there will be a price cut until Nintendo has to slow down shipping. Just because its finally lasting long enough to have 1 unit on the shelves by the next shipment doesn't mean you need a price cut.

I would say after a 6 months of it not being sold out we will either see a price cut, or the introduction of colors.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

I really hope they don't "replace" a price cut with colors. They have a really good sales streak going here and I am pretty sure they could drop the price $50 right now and still be making a profit (especially if they removed Wii Sports). I just hope that Nintendo does not get greedy with the hardware side of things and realizes that their is far more money to be made by ensuring folks have consoles in their homes than to nitpick over $50 a unit which is nothing to them and the world to many of their consumers.

October 16, 2007

Edit: , 

kber81 said:
October 16 2007

Interesting choice of a date =P

Around the Network

kber81: What is October 16, 2007?

Nintendo won't likely give a price cut until sales slag off for many months. Look at Sony and Microsoft -- Sony's sales were wretched for 7 months in the US before they gave their first price cut. It might be years before the Wii slows to those levels even at $250. And Microsoft, despite having very slow sales for almost 20 months now, still hasn't given a price cut. And sales are only getting slower. They're now selling the slowest.

Remember: Nintendo does several big-name franchise releases per year, often several per quarter. They'd likely have to go through several of those with poor sales before they'd do a price drop. If they did a price drop now, for example, they'd lose about 50 million per month of profit.

Also consider that, this year they've got their three biggest games to come out exclusively for the Wii thus far.  In fact, both Galaxy and Smash will be the biggest releases they've done in some while on any console (except pokemans, perhaps), and these will certainly drive sales if they would be to slag off.

TheBigFatJ said:
kber81: What is October 16, 2007?

Grand Theft Auto IV launch.

The price cut probably wont come till after the holidays so they can milk the profit for as long as possible. If it came before it would be a fiasco during the holidays.

Sqrl said:
I really hope they don't "replace" a price cut with colors. They have a really good sales streak going here and I am pretty sure they could drop the price $50 right now and still be making a profit (especially if they removed Wii Sports). I just hope that Nintendo does not get greedy with the hardware side of things and realizes that their is far more money to be made by ensuring folks have consoles in their homes than to nitpick over $50 a unit which is nothing to them and the world to many of their consumers.

I too would rather see a $50 price cut before colors are introduced, but from what i've heard, everyone is waiting for a black wii. We know they will introduce colors adventually, and we know they won't do it until they can meet demand. (why introduce something that could slow down production if your selling out) I'm fairly sure they could cut the price by $50 while keeping Wii Sports and still turn a profit. Maybe if we are lucky, they will do both at the same time.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

When the other two consoles drop their prices low enough to compete with Nintendo, then we'll see a price cut. It's just good business.