By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - David Reeves: This Christmas Not That Critical

SCEE president David Reeves says that this Christmas isn't necessarily the most critical one for Sony.

In an interview with semi-official Sony blog Three Speech, Reeves said: "I think each peak is crucial to maximise what you can do, but I don't think this Christmas is necessarily the most critical one - I think that's going to be Christmas 08."

"I see this more as kind of like a tsunami – it starts small and gathers speed, and eventually, after four or five years, it will start to take you over."

Click through for entire article: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=26934

For those wondering who David Reeves is, this quote is handily credited to him:
"We have built up a certain brand equity over time since the launch of PlayStation in 1995 and PS2 in 2000 that the first five million are going to buy it, whatever it is, even it didn't have games."

Around the Network

omgwtfbbq: David Reeves is an idiot.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

I did not feel like posting this, because it was going to bring out a lot of arguments; most common one being "They are in it for 10 years".

My opinion: He is just saying that so that, when they do not win this holiday season, they can come back and say "We were not planning on it".

In addition, he is the owner of the recent quote: SCEE president: Going up 20 GB is "not worth it" http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=4384

Yeah, that's just him preparing for a bad Christmas. It might not happen, but just in case, he can go back and say "well I said months ago wait until Christmas 2008."

-edit-
Bah, beaten by DonWii

If you think about it he's somewhat correct, FF XIII will be out by that date, the ps3 might even be $399.99 in the U.S, and 250 euros, also killzone 2, and those huge titles. Alot of games for the ps3. But I cant help thinking something is going to change in 08 dont know what though.

mM
Around the Network

He has a pretty good point, as Christmas 08 will decide which console will going to be the long term winner.

Even if one of the consoles has a good showing at Christmas, that still does not mean it has won. We're still only in the first few years of each console.

P.S. Nice job Nintendo fanboys for finding a way to put a negative spin on it. Keep up the good work! 

I don't know what kind of Tsunamis take 4-5 years until it will *start* to take you over (I know what is meant by the analogy, but the analogy makes no sense to me)

Sony making excuses already to account for a poorly anticipated holiday turnout I take it? Oh well, they'd be bigger fools not to downplay the possibility of a grim christmass than to just blindly pretend all is well. They can't be blamed for making such statements honestly but it certainly doesn't bode well for their turn out this Christmas.

Of course the longer it takes them bring out these games that are allegedly going to save them the harder the uphill battle will become in the long run.

Ya even though huge games are comming people still need to buy the hardware. If someone wants to buy GTA4 for the PS3 they need to buy a PS3 (assuming they wont have one) which is 600 (I have a feeling they will be out of the 60 gb by then) and then GTA4 which is 60 and thats around 700 bucks with tax. The average person spends what? 100-400 on christmas each year.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

Uh...don't push this on Nintendo fanboys...

If anybody, David Reeves not exempt, thinks this Christmas isn't important...he's an idiot. Sure, next Christmas will be important as well...but the more good news for the Wii and sales of 360 games like Halo, the more Sony needs to sell as well, or else they'll be going into 2008 with negative press yet again.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )