By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Kid plays too much Xbox, argues with parents, runs away. MS offers reward.

This seems like strange PR to me. I'm not faulting it, I just think it's weird.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081025.wreward1025/BNStory/National/home

Microsoft doubles reward for missing Ontario boy

The Canadian Press

ORO-MEDONTE, Ont. — Rain, mud and chilly weather did not deter some 400 people from joining the ground search for missing Ontario boy Brandon Crisp.

The volunteers embarked Saturday on a second day of searching for the 15-year-old from Barrie, Ont., as software giant Microsoft doubled the reward money for information on his whereabouts to $50,000.

Public search organizer Charmaine Nolan, who works with Brandon's mother, said school bus loads of volunteers are scouring dense bush area and fields.

Barrie police, who are on day seven of their own search just southwest of the civilians, say no meaningful clues have turned up yet.

Sergeant Dave Goodbrand says people from Miami to British Columbia have offered assistance, including search and rescue expert Terry Grant, host of Canadian reality show Mantracker, who flew in to help.

The teen ran away from home Oct. 13 after fighting with his parents about his Microsoft Xbox game system, which they say he is addicted to. A blue-checkered jacket, tent, crackers and full bag of chips were all turned up Friday as a sprawling ground search got under way for a missing Ontario boy, but investigators aren't drawing any conclusions as to whether they're signs Brandon Crisp is still in the area.

The 15-year-old disappeared after leaving his Barrie, Ont., home Oct. 13 following an argument with his parents over his excessive use of his XBox video game system.

“I think that the ... disappearance of Brandon has hit a lot of us,” Ms. Nolan said on Friday, the first day of the public search. “Whether we actually know the family or not, it hits close to home.

Debbie Halikas, a colleague and close friend of Brandon's mother, said on Friday that those who know the family are having a rough time emotionally.

“You're numb. You have your good moments and your bad moments,” she said.

“But I'm confident that I think we might find out something this weekend.”

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

Yeah, I just saw the headline "Microsoft doubles reward for missing ontario teen" on another site and thought "Why the hell would Microsoft do that?" Now I know.

Still odd though.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Kids can really be a pain sometimes.

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

Is this the guy who was banned from playing Call of Duty 4?

That kid needs a reality check, and a good smackin' to show him to respect his elders and to act a bit more mature.

"I cannots play me xbox, /sadness/, ima runs awayy!!11!!!eleven"

Idiot.

Around the Network

why should microsoft reward for some kid they dont know just because he plays their system? well whatever its 13 days i dont see any hope since when domebody saw him theyx would tell for reward

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!

bet with *no one yet* that the combined first week of Monster Hunter 3 in america and europe will be 600k or more! winner changes looser sig and avatar for two months!

The guy ran away, stop wasting MS and taxpayer money looking for him, he'll come back when he realises what a tool he's been

scottie said:
The guy ran away, stop wasting MS and taxpayer money looking for him, he'll come back when he realises what a tool he's been

Yikes, I happen to think it is awesome that people have banded together for a common cause like this. 

Who gives a rats ass about the money?  This is someones life we are talking about.  Something very bad could have happened to him.  Yes, it was very stupid of him to run away for that, but children make horrible decisions on a daily basis.  I applaud M$ and everyone who has helped in this.

scottie said:

While I can agree with your sentiment somewhat with taxpayer money; I will have to disagree because we are talking about a child, and MS is hardly wasting money, they are using their money how they see fit, which is their right. For me anyway runaway children are way different than runaway adults whom I have almost no compassion for (except for beaten wives and such).

Kickin' Those Games Old School.       -       201 Beaten Games And Counting

A little off topic but once nice thing about the xbox it has a parental control feature were I can set the maximum amount of time the kids can play the xbox 360 a week

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks