By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Diego Maradona new coach of Argentina national football team

Well, it's basically on every newspaper in the world (don't even try to imagine how it's around here), so I'm basically just quoting one

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/oct/28/diegomaradona

Maradona set to be named as new Argentina coach

• Argentine legend to succeed Alfio Basile
• Appointment could be a perceived risk

Diego Maradona is set to be unveiled as the new new coach of the Argentina national football team. The news follows a meeting between Maradona and the Argentina Football Association (AFA) president, Julio Grondona, this evening in Buenos Aires.

The 47 year-old, who many regard as the greatest footballer to ever grace the game, revealed he was on the verge of accepting the role. "The offer from Julio Grondona attracted me a lot," he said. "As soon as it is confirmed, I will start working, but I can say I am very proud."

If confirmed, the former Boca Juniors, Napoli and Barcelona star will succeed Alfio Basile, who stepped down from the position on October 16 for personal reasons. Pedro Troglio, coach of Paraguayan club Cerro Porteno, claimed he has already been approached by Maradona to become a member of the new Argentina set-up.

Sergio Batista, coach of the Argentina under-20 side, was believed to be in the frame for the position as well, but Maradona's iconic status - he captained Argentina to World Cup glory in 1986 - looks to have been the deciding factor in swaying the AFA's decision.

The appointment would be deemed risky given Maradona's numerous personal problems and limited experience as a coach in just two brief stints at Argentine club sides Racing Club de Avellaneda and Mandiyú de Corrientes.

Maradona's first match in charge of Argentina would be a friendly against Scotland at Hampden Park later this year.

Fortunately I don't give a damn about what happens to my national football team, because if I did, I'd be very angry, Diego may be the best player ever, but he's not suited to coach any team, let alone the "Selección", he doesn't have any tactical insight, the concentration, the hard-work, the analysis depth required to be a good coach. The only thing he has as a pro is that he's a great motivator, but other than that, he will fail. Expect Argentina to have a hard time qualifying for the 2010 World Cup

Around the Network

Well... that would be... wut???? Does he even had a coaching job before???

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

NiKKoM said:
Well... that would be... wut???? Does he even had a coaching job before???

Yes, in 1994 (while he was suspended for doping) he coached Mandiyú (think of it as a team that stays on Top Division one or two years and then gets relegated two divisions below), where he only won 1 match in 12, and in 1995 he coached Racing, where he won 2, drew 6 and lost 3. After that he returned to play.

This is gonna be worse than Dunga (which neither had coaching experience, look how's Brazil doing now)

WEll he did say it himself, that it was his dream.

^_^

skeezer said:

And it'll be every Argentinian supporter's nightmare

Around the Network
zexen_lowe said:
skeezer said:

Luckily you are not one of those

^_^

skeezer said:
zexen_lowe said:
skeezer said:

Yup. Wait a minute, now that I think of it, this is fantastic, this means he won't be able to coach Boca Juniors (every time our manager job is vacant there are rumors he'd take the job). WE'RE SAVED!!!!

zexen_lowe said:
skeezer said:
zexen_lowe said:
skeezer said:

Yup. Wait a minute, now that I think of it, this is fantastic, this means he won't be able to coach Boca Juniors (every time our manager job is vacant there are rumors he take the job). WE'RE SAVED!!!!

This is GREAT news then! WooT!!!

^_^

how has argentina been doing lately??
they didn't win last time , did they?

blackstar said:
how has argentina been doing lately??
they didn't win last time , did they?

Well, the U-23 won the Gold medal at Beijing, but the Selección hasn't been doing well at all, they only won 1 game in their last 7 in the World Cup Qualifiers (still they're qualifying as of now to the WC), last match they lost against Chile 1-0 (for the first time in history)