By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - help math problem

i forgot how to resolve equation of the third degree : x3 + x2 + x + c

i have look on wikipedia for it and only found the method of cadran but it seems to complicate, I am pretty sure there's a easy way to do this.

or if you got maple at home can you tell me what -x3 + 8x2 - x +6 =?

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Around the Network

come on!!! give a fellow gamer some help

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Peut-être que ceci pourra t'aider: http://www.mathforu.com/pdf/equations-troisieme-degre.pdf

Je ne suis pas sûr. Les maths collégiales font exploser ma tête. C'est peut-être la précion sinusidale de ma grippe.

chapset said:

i have look on wikipedia for it and only found the method of cadran but it seems to complicate, I am pretty sure there's a easy way to do this.

*Goes completely over his head*

chapset said:

Use Gauss' theorem: If there's a fractional number which is root of a polynomial with integer quotients, then the numerator must divide the independent coefficient (in this case, 6), and the denominator must divide the principal coefficient (in this case, -1). So you gotta try wtih 1, -1, 2, -2, 3, -3, 6 and -6, and see when it equals zero, then divide the polynomial by (x-root)

If you give me sometime I'll solve it

Around the Network

What do you mean by resolve? There is no = sign... do you want to factor it or something?   (maybe it's just been too long from when I had to do this sort of stuff and I am missing the context or something).

Dogs Rule said:
Peut-être que ceci pourra t'aider: http://www.mathforu.com/pdf/equations-troisieme-degre.pdf

Je ne suis pas sûr. Les maths collégiales font exploser ma tête. C'est peut-être la précion sinusidale de ma grippe.

thx a lot dog, i hope you get better

Well, the way I showed to you works, but that polyomial you provided has no rational roots, so if you want the results

Order of Polynomial, n = 3

The Coefficients are:
a[0] = -1
a[1] = 8
a[2] = -1
a[3] = 6

The Normalized Coefficients are:
a[0] = 1.00000000000000
a[1] = -8
a[2] = 1
a[3] = -6

The Roots are:

Root No. Real Imaginary No of
Iterations
3 0.0155027043015898 0.867570016019774 4
2 0.0155027043015898 -0.867570016019774 4
1 7.96899459139682 0 1

Calculated with http://www.savetman.com/roots.html

zexen_lowe said:
chapset said:

Use Gauss' theorem: If there's a fractional number which is root of a polynomial with integer quotients, then the numerator must divide the independent coefficient (in this case, 6), and the denominator must divide the principal coefficient (in this case, -1). So you gotta try wtih 1, -1, 2, -2, 3, -3, 6 and -6, and see when it equals zero, then divide the polynomial by (x-root)

If you give me sometime I'll solve it

yeah i found it thx a lot

the answer i needed was : -(x-6)(x-1)^2