By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Lair, a different opinion after EGM's review?

I'm sure we've seen the stuff on the EGM review of Lair. Somebody from a 1up club directed me to a gametrailers.com forum thread that looks like it has some review scores from a couple of other reviewers as well as the head of Factor 5 chiming in on the reviews.

http://forums.gametrailers.com/showthread.php?t=136834&page=1

"I'm aware of the reviews, of course. Some are very positive, some are not. The common complaint in those bad reviews seem to be the controls - putting the dragon streering on the motion-sensitive SIXAXIS controller doesn't sit well with some of the experienced gamers. First of all: try it out yourself, give it a chance!
And if you want my side of the story, I will share a simple anecdote: Victoria's family, lead by my 83-year old grandfather in law, was able to pick up Lair in less than 5 inutes, to fly around with the dragon and to play the first mission of the game.That experience right there beats anything that the reviewers can say. Because let's face it: the hardcore crowd is an important part of the market, and I sincerely hope that everybody who reads my page and/or hangs out on NeoGAF, IGN, 1UP on a daily basis will buy Lair and enjoy it. Your guys' opinions are important, and they matter."

Take that as damage control or whatever you will, but the thread also has some scores as well.

Apparently these are the current reviews on Lair so far,

" LAIR has got multiple reviews till date

EGM ---5.5 (6 ,5.5 ,5.0)

PLAY UK --9.0

GAMEZONE --9.0

EDGE ---9.0 (LEAKED . the papaerback magazine would be out in a few days)

GAMEPRO --7.5 (praised everything except the controls)"

Now, I can't confirm all of these scores on my own here, but perhaps if others want to look around and check different sources out for themselves.

The thread says that EGM will discuss their rating with Julian Eggebrecht himself in their EGM podcast on August 13th? 

What do you think?

Around the Network

I knew it..

3 reviewers give it a 9/10

3 reviewers give it a 5.5/10

1 reviwer gives it a 7.5/10

Soriku is going to jump in this thread and say its a failure of a game..but I see otherwise, though unless a demo is released I cant say anything.

mM

I'd really like a demo myself. Since I'm kind of low on cash since I couldn't work all summer (yea for mono. . . ), I don't know if I'd buy it compared to the other games I'm also interested in (can't forget the college bills too). Though I really want to play this game, even if there is a general issue with the Sixaxis controls.

I'm expecting an average of about 7.5, which is slightly better than the last Factor 5 game got. This is on track for that. In short: no, this really hasn't changed my opinion.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

I wasn't expecting high reviews for the game, but I reserve my judgement until I see GS and IGN reviews. The game was hyped for the graphics. Honestly, I just saw Rogue Squadron with Dragons, lots of Dragons, and Graphics. I guess thats why people are complaining about the review. They don't see why such a good looking game could get such a low score...

Hehehe... I like the first part "First of all: try it out yourself, give it a chance!" Thats exactly the thing about the Wii. While some review sites say the controls may not be great on a game, that does not mean that they are not good. Everyones experience is different. Red Steel was a great game, though it got a 65 average.

I would call it a double standard, but I do not know how they have reviewed Wii games in the past. However, I would assume that a PS3 game being criticized about controls and gameplay (when graphics look very good) is probably higher priority then people complaining about low Wii game reviews based on the same bases.

Around the Network

I was expecting more like an 8, since it got hyped so much, I figured it'd be quite polished. But now I'm expecting around a 7.5...even if EGM was harsh, it gives me an idea about what's wrong with the game, and what most reviewers will give the game.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

I dont know most of those places tbh. Which of those sites/magazines usually gives high quality reviews?

While I'm impatient to play this game and I will surely be the first in my store to buy it, I am still not sure about the full quality of this game and I don't talk only about the visual, but the game in overall. There is too many games from SCE this fall that are created with the idea to show some kind of potential from the PS3. That's normal, but they should focus on creating interesting game for the console, not game to show the potential of a product, keep that for the launch period.

Heavenly Sword as an exemple, they hype the potential of the Cell by saying that one of the processor has been used only to move the Hair of Nariko, the results is a poor frame rates and her hairs moving like she was running like hell while she just walk slowly and when she si running her hairs are moving so fast that you have the impression that you are seing them frame by frame with poor animation, maybe I'm too hot with little details.

As for Lair, I fear they publish the game of Factor 5 because they are reputed to create impressive engine with any kind of material. Look at Rogue Leader, they showed the graphical capacity of the GC with a single launch title and I have seen many last generation games on the Xbox that didn't achieved that quality. My fear with that it's that they had focused on how to prove the potential of the console more than the content and the gameplay of the game directly, just like with my exemple of Heavenly Sword, even if the Demo was alot of fun to play, it's just like they put some effort in something not really usefull, but well this is only my opinion and that will not prevent me from buying Lair, after all it's a Factor 5 game and they are one of my most favorite dev.

Gamertag : Dark Red Icarus  

Gamerscore : 29000!!!! still growing

PSN ID : Gamer9851

Now Playing : Soul Calibur 4 and World of Warcraft

gamer9851 said:
While I'm impatient to play this game and I will surely be the first in my store to buy it, I am still not sure about the full quality of this game and I don't talk only about the visual, but the game in overall. There is too many games from SCE this fall that are created with the idea to show some kind of potential from the PS3. That's normal, but they should focus on creating interesting game for the console, not game to show the potential of a product, keep that for the launch period.

Heavenly Sword as an exemple, they hype the potential of the Cell by saying that one of the processor has been used only to move the Hair of Nariko, the results is a poor frame rates and her hairs moving like she was running like hell while she just walk slowly and when she si running her hairs are moving so fast that you have the impression that you are seing them frame by frame with poor animation, maybe I'm too hot with little details.

As for Lair, I fear they publish the game of Factor 5 because they are reputed to create impressive engine with any kind of material. Look at Rogue Leader, they showed the graphical capacity of the GC with a single launch title and I have seen many last generation games on the Xbox that didn't achieved that quality. My fear with that it's that they had focused on how to prove the potential of the console more than the content and the gameplay of the game directly, just like with my exemple of Heavenly Sword, even if the Demo was alot of fun to play, it's just like they put some effort in something not really usefull, but well this is only my opinion and that will not prevent me from buying Lair, after all it's a Factor 5 game and they are one of my most favorite dev.
They fixed all the issues a long time ago, didnt you see the demo in e3?

mM

It's not just about the issues, if they are gone that's perfect, but do you really think they will show a demo with full of issues one month before release when you need to hype the game ? It's obvious there will be some issues, but less than what we have already seen in the past demos. My main concern is about the game itself, I fear they pushed more the dev to create great visual than on the gameplay and I just hope it will not.

Gamertag : Dark Red Icarus  

Gamerscore : 29000!!!! still growing

PSN ID : Gamer9851

Now Playing : Soul Calibur 4 and World of Warcraft