By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rumors of PGR4 being limited by DVD are false

Looks like the PS3 fanboys got owned again :|

http://www.bizarrecreations.com/article.php?article_id=5257

"As I'm sure you've seen, some of the comments made on our forum have been blown out of all proportion. This has been reported on certain web sites. It seems that a number of fanboys have jumped on the topic... sigh. So it's time we cleared this one up...

When we started designing PGR4 our primary goals were to create a great and unique experience over and above PGR3, to push the hardware as far as we could, and obviously to ensure that we give great value for money. DVD size is absolutely not a factor that we consider when designing our games... and PGR4 is no exception. DVD9 gives us more than we need to create a fabulous experience for you guys.

The previous game, PGR3, had five environments. That's how much we could create given our time and resources for that game. With the longer development cycle we've had for PGR4, as well as the advantage of having final hardware, we wanted to create a far bigger and better game by this time including 10 environments, as well as a whole bunch of new gameplay features.

Rather than having two "fixed" times of day, this time around we decided to use our time to create a dynamic weather system, which effectively creates a much more dramatic palette from which to work with. To show you where we're coming from, have a look at this screenshot crop sheet. This is something we use internally to compare our environments, lighting, and weather effects... but it's certainly useful for demonstrating the breadth of the game here!

We've never had to cut content to fit on the disc, and we probably never will.

Each next-gen format has its own merits. We should know, as we're currently developing games for all of them in one form or another. It's not a case of one system having less of this, and the other having more of that. As developers we are given a fixed platform, and that's what we work with. At the end of the day we're games developers, and we try to create the best we can irrespective of platform. We hope you end up agreeing with our design decisions when you see the game for yourself."

Around the Network

LoL. Nice find.

I don't even know how to respond except.....

Yawn, is that all?

if you read the original post about this before there were many people pointing this out. The original article was fine, it was just some people took it to mean the wrong thing. There was never any limitation, they just had to do dynamic lighting instead of having different textures for day and night, though honestly dynamic lighting isn't exactly a groundbreaking solution.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Its just racing what do you expect? 15gigs is enough.

mM
Around the Network
leo-j said:
Its just racing what do you expect? 15gigs is enough.

What about 9 gigs? Would that be enough?

Is what I always say: lazy and unskilled devs needs tons of space to work.

Skilled devs know all the programming to keep a game great without making it huge.

9 gigs should be plenty for a game...I'm sure there's certain storage-packing games out there that might require more than 9, but currently, you should be able to make a AAA Game of the Year with 9 gigs, so who cares.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:
9 gigs should be plenty for a game...I'm sure there's certain storage-packing games out there that might require more than 9, but currently, you should be able to make a AAA Game of the Year with 9 gigs, so who cares.

Wasnt the reason why gears of war was short is becuase of the disc capacity? And isnt one level in killzone 2 2gigs of data? Then you can only make 4 0r 5 levels...I think 9 gigs isnt enough, isnt dvd9 15gigs anyway?

mM
leo-j said:
BenKenobi88 said:

Wasnt the reason why gears of war was short is becuase of the disc capacity? And isnt one level in killzone 2 2gigs of data? Then you can only make 4 0r 5 levels...I think 9 gigs isnt enough, isnt dvd9 15gigs anyway?

Of course. That's why it's called DVD9, because it has 15 gigs. You're likely thinking of HD-DVD.