By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Alot has been said about the Wii's graphics- they are 'last-gen', they are good for only cartoonish or artsy graphics, etc. I've seen the Wii largely dismissed as not able to produce really lifelike or photorealistic graphics, but is this true?

Is it possible that the Wii may end up surprising some people with beautiful as well as realistic looking games that nobody would have thought possible on the hardware?

Endless ocean is an example of realistic and beautiful graphics on the Wii:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/22757.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/22680.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21561.html

I hadn't looked at this game alot until today, but when I started watching these in-game videos I was pretty impressed. If Nintendo is able to pull this kind of photo-realism out of this system less than a year after release, I think Wii owners may be in for some surprisingly nice looking (and realistic looking) games over the life of the system.

I'm not saying that Wii graphics are better than the competitors, and I'm not trying to compare it to any competitors. I just think that the Wii is not the graphical wimp that some have made it out to be, and that it may end up surprising some people. I think many later Wii games will be able to stand very well on their graphics, as well as their gameplay.

Obviously, PS360 games will look better than Wii games in general, but people will not be able to keep saying the Wii's graphics are 'horrible' for much longer. Once SMG, Metroid, and Endless Ocean are released, we will finally get the first glimpse of what this system is actually capable of, and I don't think many people will be dissapointed. The first wave of games consisted of many crappy ports, rush jobs, etc, but I think the later batches of games will include games that both look good and play even better.

Around the Network

Another Wii graphics thread!? Has it been 20 minutes already?

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Too bad this game bombed in Japan. Somebody said there was a bug in it or something, but it still only moved 10k copies. That is pretty bad considering Nintendo themselves published the thing. I am curious to see how it will do stateside.

In any case, it doesn't look too bad.  I am glad to see less cartoony graphics can look alright on the Wii. 

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

stof said:

QFT,

But I guess to stay on topic, I have decided to just not bother with the Wii graphics argument anymore. Basically if the 360/PS3 fanboys demean it enough it just serves to awe people even more when it does things these loudmouths never thought possible. Let them lower expecatations so the Wii can surprise people and fuel the hype even more. Thats fine by me.

Edit:

PS - I think the first trailer you linked is amusing...GT has all these loud sound effects just as this peaceful and serene video ends....way to go guys...

To Each Man, Responsibility
stof said:

I guess so. Should I have waited another 30 seconds? I just hadn't really watched these trailers and thought they looked amazing, wanted to see what other people thought.

We get enough screenshot threads about X360 or PS3 graphics too.

Edit: and I'm not trying to debate Wii graphics vs something else like several other threads, just trying to discuss my thoughts that the Wii may just surprise some naysayers.

Around the Network
akuma587 said:

Too bad this game bombed in Japan. Somebody said there was a bug in it or something, but it still only moved 10k copies.  

It's not exactly selling badly.  It's been reported that that approx 10k was sold on the first day due to the fact that most store managers underestimated the popularity of the title.  The result was that it was sold out in a lot of stores. 

Considering that it's getting good reviews from professional magazines as well as from Japanese consumers on game forums on the internet, it's probably sell decent in the long run. This seems to be one of the titles that got legs.

The reported bug is just that you just can't select a certain fish in aquarium, which isn't big deal anyway. 

No, it's not going to stop  'Til you wise up
No, it's not going to stop  So just ... give up
- Aimee Mann

I honestly don't think it looks that great. It looks good...but I think the Wii could do better.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Nintendo only shipped 20k copies.
Also, there was 1 bug in the game. When you try to add a shark ray?, the game freezes.
I could see it having legs, though.

I made a thread about the graphics on this game, though I still don't see it. A lot of sites say it is one of the best looking Wii games around, though.

Buzz in Japan I've read so far on the internet is pretty postivie.

Actually people are raving about how great it is. Quote: "When I was swimming with my partner dolphin, a bunch of jellyfish surrounded us, and then two whale sharks found us and came to us, and I was like WOW. This is so great". Others are saying diving together with friends through wifi-connections is "Godly fun" to quote them.

No, it's not going to stop  'Til you wise up
No, it's not going to stop  So just ... give up
- Aimee Mann

I just wanted to chime in and say: C'mon, man. Wii realism? The pun was right there for the taking. Wiialism. Get it? I like the play on words. Sue me.

To get back on topic: The visuals are fine.

Current systems owned: Wii, 360. I'll get a PS3 when hell freezes over!... or when the price drops to a reasonable level. Whichever comes first.