By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - wii just short of 50000 units sold in switzerland

A swiss newspaper (heute) stated today that Nintendo will have sold 50k Wii's by the end of that week in Switzerland. The Gamecube sold 150k LTD, which means that the Wii is selling faster than the Cube in Switzerland too. Numbers of other consoles are not stated.

I'm sorry that I can't give you a source, I read it in the newspaper and couldn't find it online, so I guess you just have to believe me.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

Around the Network

I guess it's sold to retailers, if I remember the article correctly it was Nintendo themselves that stated that number. But now that I look at vgchartz numbers, it sounds a bit high considering that the number in germany is 320k.

Also, if switzerland belongs to other europe here on vgchartz, it makes up more than one third of the total account of wii's sold in those regions (140k). Considering that bigger countries like the netherlands, belgium and austria also belong to this region, it seems that switzerland is more important than you thought

Oh and btw, austria will fail to reach the quarter finals at the euro, i'm afraid, and it will be the swiss team that wins the cup. And next week, both Ried and Mattersburg will be losing against the swiss teams basel and sion

Yeah it really seems to be our private thread here.

Of course I figured out that it was sarcasm, therefore the smiley. I also think that the game markets Switzerland and Austria are equal, which means there are about 100k Wii's sold in both countries. So no matter where the countries are counted here on vgchartz, they make up a good amount of the units sold in those regions. (one third of the sales in germany or two thirds in other europe).

Well the swiss team played bad recently, I hope they can get back to the level they were at the WC. If not, it'll be very difficult to reach the quarter finals for switzerland, too.
For austria, the EC comes a little to early I think. It seems that you have quite good junior teams because they could play at the U20 WC and the U19 EC while the swiss teams did not qualify. But those players are to young to help the fanionteam.

If things go as expected, the swiss teams should both win their games. But being a huge basel supporter, I fear that they will fail. They lost 5:1 yesterday and seem to be in a small crysis now, so it could very well be that Mattersburg is able to win. Sion is playing quite good at the moment and afaik Ried is not as strong as Mattersburg, so I think Sion shouldn't have too much problems.

Off-Topic, apparently: Good to hear.

Yeah Don, you have to be able to name at least seven football clubs from switzerland or austria to contribute to this thread.

About the WC, as good as our defensive was, as bad was our offensive and if Alex Frei doesn't score, it already gets difficult. And penalties aren't our thing either, I hope they are practicing a little for the EC. I agree though that a quarterfinal Italy - Switzerland would have been more interesting because Italy would've had a hard time to score against our team.

For the youngsters, swiss talents are already bought by european top clubs when they are only sixteen and many of them have never played in the first swiss league.

Around the Network

I can name 10 from Brazil, does that count?

I was in Austria during the world cup (really great place), I have some friends in/near vienna who were telling me about the woes of there club football.

It was great fun watching the games on the big screen, wonderful crowd but why on earth did ORF('full') decide
1) to swap between games
2) Decide that a throw on was more interesting then an England goal?
We missed 3 goals in one match due to such impressive choices....

There was a lighting storm every day when we staying in salzburg, really added something to the game, I still have some free waterproofs which ORF gave away :)

The really dreadful thing about watching England play is that you ACTUALLY think they will win this time...finally...after all these years...even though you KNOW not to hope...but they start off playing so well during the first half, and even though you've seen it all before your heart starts beating fast...your on a high during half time, loads of people around the world are now watching the match because it's a quarter final....
Then in the second half in front of millions of people they crash and burn.

Again. And again.....and...but maybe in 2008 finally we....yeah right :P
(Still I know I'll start to believe again when that half time comes. :D )

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"

DonWii said:

I can name 10 from Brazil, does that count?

No I'm sorry, but brazilian players playing in Austria or Switzerland might help.

^Hellz Yeah.

England would also be my winner of choice for the EC, it's time that they win something again. I mean, it's been over fourty years now.