By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Over $60M Spent on Blu-ray Last Week

According to Home Media Magazine, consumers spent over $60M on Blu-ray titles last week, representing 14% of the home media market. The 167% spike is due in large part to the Blu-ray release of 'The Dark Knight', which is breaking Blu-ray sales records around the world. Comparatively, the previous week, where 'Wanted' was the hot new release, consumers spent $23.64M on Blu-ray.

On the year in whole, consumers have spent nearly $500M on Blu-ray titles, and the average spent per week has been growing as adoption continues to rise.Blu-ray format is growing at a much faster pace than the DVD when it was competing with the VHS.

*These numbers are for America only.

It could be because the DVD got the support of the PS2 after five year of its being introduced in 1995 but the Blu-ray got the support of the PS3 from the starting.

Around the Network

hmm a somewhat decent post on bluray....and no one commenting. Wonder how many would post on a "blu-ray fails" thread.

CURRENTLY PLAYING:  Warframe, Witcher 2

soulsamurai said:
hmm a somewhat decent post on bluray....and no one commenting. Wonder how many would post on a "blu-ray fails" thread.

Don't worry we'll get people in here trying to put it down its still early in the day.

Fantastic growth for blu-ray compared to last year.

Gotta get my copy of Dark Knight on Blu-ray!!

I think its because people on this site are "GAMES" nuts first and foremost.  The fact Blu-ray is picking up strength doesn't shine through when compared to the fact that the PS3 is being outsold by its main competitor.

It does however change my perception about the value of the PS3 ( ie increased), which i have been noting, and will purchase a blu-ray player sometime in the next year.

Blu-ray still has alot further to go until it makes it as big as DVD (if it does, because older movies may not be made in BLU-RAY format as these players also play DVDs. It wont be essential for Studios to re-realease movies on BLU-ray if they exisit on DVD as they did from VHS to DVD)

Predictions JAN 08

2008 PS3-19.5M(actual 19.5) XBOX360-23M(actual 27.5) Wii - 37M(actual 45.8M)

End of 2009 PS3-27 25M XBOX360-30 35M Wii - 48 63M (revised DEC 08)

Price Point
Mid 2008 Wii $250 Xbox360$249 Xbox360(HDD)$299 PS3 $399

Mid 2009 Wii $189 Xbox360$199 Xbox360(HDD)$249 PS3 $339

Mid 2010 Wii $ 149 Xbox360$159 Xbox360(HDD)$199 PS3 $289

Around the Network

@ RED53DEVILS

That's regarding just the United States or Americas right?

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

yes,USA only

Big surprise?

People who REALLY love movies are more likely to have blu-ray players... also more likely to be the ones who want Blu-rays as gifts...

So... duh?

Woot!
PS3 positive news is great

@ Nidan

I think its because people on this site are "GAMES" nuts first and foremost.

Yes, but Blu-Ray holds much potential as a scratch resistant high capacity storage medium for games as well.

I think its because people on this site are "GAMES" nuts first and foremost.

At only 119 Euro including 19% taxes the 360 game bundle (or ~199 dollar for the US) is more targeted at the lower end of the market. It's more likely to be bought by parents as a cheap gift for a kid gamer.

Blu-ray still has alot further to go until it makes it as big as DVD (if it does, because older movies may not be made in BLU-RAY format as these players also play DVDs. It wont be essential for Studios to re-realease movies on BLU-ray if they exisit on DVD as they did from VHS to DVD)

The first DVD/Blu-Ray combo discs are to be released in Japan next year in February, in Japan Blu-Ray has already overtaken DVD according to GfK Retail and Technology. Its adoption happened 1.5 times faster than was the case for DVD vs VHS. This may save retailer shelf space if this approach will be successful and may help to bring down pricing.

For Europe/North America, Dark Knight sold 1.7 million copies its first week on the market, a new record. Taking equal timeframes the Matrix in 1999 sold a record 780K on DVD.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales