By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Red Faction Maxes out Xbox 360 - Volition turn to Xbox 720

Gameplayer: So you’re saying that RFG is pushing the hardware as far as it can go? Squeezing every drop of juice out of the Xbox 360?

Rick White: Yeah, we’ve got it to the point where we can’t even put an extra vehicle into a world, because it’ll blow the memory. Every little change we make we have to be hyper-critical about it because it could just bring the whole system down. We evaluate every little change in the game, and then we run our tools on it to make sure it isn’t going to break the game and then we move forward, so it really is about pushing the engine as far as we can, and pushing the hardware as far as we can, and then looking at what is the next set of hardware that’s going to come out. Where can we take it then? You know we’re already thinking about if we had XYZ X number of years from now, what would we do with our engine?

Gameplayer: So you’ve got a lot of plans for this engine?

Rick White: I think as the consoles grow, be it the 720 or whatever, it’s going to increase our ability to deliver a better looking game with more destruction, or more dense environments. I mean, one thing we have now, because we’re throwing so many polys around we’re not as dense as Saints Row 2. One thing that you could see with a more powerful console with more dense environments.

Gameplayer: We see a lot of developers these days juggling multiple projects, what’s the secret to success?

Rick White: That’s an interesting question. I think part of it is timing, part of it is luck, and it’s having dedicated teams. With Saints Row 2 and RFG we had our own separate teams, and we steal from each other as far as technology goes, but we do our own thing and we have our own staff.

It seems my debate with Mrstickball that the Xbox 360 has peaked too early has sufficed, developers are already looking at the next console.

Mrstickball what is your response to this?

Plz Discuss

Around the Network

red fraction looks worse than gears 2 to me ,,,so how do they think they maxed it out?

off topic:

I wish some devs would focus a little bit more on cell,,,if we can get uncharted ,killzone 2 ,lbp,MGS4 with cell and only 256 mb of ram and graphic card ,,,imagine what it can do if the graphic card and ram were above 1 gig.Hopefully we'll see in PS4

Red Faction 1 was amazing on PC, 2 was meh, the new one best be good

SpartanFX said:
red fraction looks worse than gears 2 to me ,,,so how do tehy think they maxed it out?

I wish devs would focus a little bit more on cell,,,if we can get uncharted ,killzone 2 ,lbp,MGS4 with cell and only 256 mb of ram and graphic card ,,,imagine what i can do if the graphic card and ram were above 1 gig.Hopefully well see in PS4

Good analysis my friend.

SpartanFX said:
red fraction looks worse than gears 2 to me ,,,so how do tehy think they maxed it out?

I wish devs would focus a little bit more on cell,,,if we can get uncharted ,killzone 2 ,lbp,MGS4 with cell and only 256 mb of ram and graphic card ,,,imagine what i can do if the graphic card and ram were above 1 gig.Hopefully well see in PS4

Good analysis my friend.

Around the Network

MGS 4 apparently maxed out the power of PS3 in only 18 months. I will be surprised if any game on PS3 will surpass MGS 4 in graphics.

^^killzone 2 says hi

SpartanFX said:

WTF does this sony fanboy bullshit has to do with this thread ??

fulcizombie said:
SpartanFX said:

He was analysing both factors no need to cry!

fulcizombie said:
SpartanFX said:

the first part was about the topic and the next part was  off topic,,,is that too hard to understand genius?