By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii's 'core' games for Spring - Hits or Misses?

This Spring the Wii is (finally!) getting some more core games.   But is it too late?  Are all the core players now on HD?  Will Wii owners want any of these games?

Give your impressions of which will be hits or misses and why:

Rygar

Tenchu 4

Dead Rising: Chop 'til You Drop

House of the Dead: Overkill

MadWorld

Deadly Creatures

The Conduit

Sin & Punishment 2 (no release date yet)

Little King Story

My thoughts:

Rygar - Port of an OLD PS2 game that was good in it's pre-God Of War day but wouldn't hold up now even on PS2. No creative use of motion controls dispite Disk-armour potential.   With better games out at the same time the audience for this is limited indeed.  MISS - 200k

Tenchu 4 - Flopped badly in Japan.  Even on the HD consoles I think this game's appeal would be limited.  However it does offer some nice use of motion for ninja kills and that's got to count for something.   BARELY PROFITABLE - 250-300k

Dead Rising - Semi-port of old 360 game.  Won't get good reviews because of the comparison to the original but will be fun in it's own right.  Easy concept for masses to grasp.  Empty mall will be an issue.  MODEST HIT - 500 - 750k

House of the Dead: Overkill - On-rail shooters are a proven commodity on Wii.   RE:UC did about 1.5m and HoTD2&3 is closing in on 1m.   Over the top killings will be a hit with adults and teens (and pre-teens) alike dispite M rating. HIT over 1m

MadWorld - NICHE!!  The black and white art style will immediately turn off the mass market and even many core gamers.  Ultra violent motion based killings will get lots of negative press.  Anyone who thinks this game will sell 1m is fooling themselves.   HIT!! 400-500k.   Small but dedicated fanbase will find this game and love it.  Too bad there's no online.

Deadly Creatures - A bug?  Are you kidding me?  Okami failed 'cause no one wants to be a dog (yes I know it's a deity...) and they are going for insects?  Not even cute A Bugs Life insects but icky insects?  Reminds me of the InSectors fiasco in the 80's.   Kids like to torture bugs not be them.  COMPLETE MISS!! Will barely make top 200 even on launch.  Under 200k

The Conduit - The poster child for Wii core games.  Can it possibly live up to the hype it's created for itself?  No f---ing way!  Will it still be a fun FPS on Wii.  You bet!  Reviewers (except IGN) will flog it because it can't compare to CoD4, Halo 3, Resistance or Crysis which are the FPS standard barers now.  Mediocore 1st week sales will have people laughing at the Wii fanboys.   But Conduit players will love the game even if it isn't as good as some others and will LOVE the controls.  They'll all tell 2 friends to buy it who will love it and tell 2 friends....  HIT!!  1-2m (but it'll be slow.  Think RE4 or CoDWaW sales)  Expect Conduit 2 by 2010 holiday season.

Sin and Punishment 2 - Despite the VC release of the original Japan only S&P this is basically an all new IP for NA and Others.   Nice graphics but a little too 'Japanese' for most western shooter fans but it's a Nintendo title so it's guaranteed not to fail.  MODEST HIT! 500k-750k

Little King Story - Odd title.  Honestly I have no idea.  If it's a hit it'll be a sleeper hit for sure.

Around the Network

im sure i may a thread exactly like this.

anyways, what makes you think S&P2 will be out in spring time? it might be but its not confirmed. we should be getting punchout in Q2 tho, and little king story in march.

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

Link the thread if you can find it - I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Added Little King Story. 

Rygar- I agree with what you said

Tenchu 4- I agree also with what you said, but I think it may be able to reach 500k

Dead Rising: Chop 'til You Drop- I agree

House of the Dead: Overkill- I agree

MadWorld- I agree

Deadly Creatures- I think you may be low balling the sales potential of this game I see it hitting 400-500k if it gets positive feedback

The Conduit- I agree

Sin & Punishment 2- Nintendo IP and it seems high on action plus the original did very well on the VC. I wouldn't be surprised if your predictions are correct but i feel this can hit between the 1-2m mark

Little King's Story- I have no idea either but I  hope it can atleast sell 400k as it's one of my most anticipated wii games

I personally think most of the games you listed wont have large opening weeks but will continue to sell over a period of time.

Pacman taught people to run around in dark rooms munching on pills while listening to repettive techno music and for that I somewhat idolise him.

Around the Network

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=55513

wasnt exactly the same but quite similar. hopfully we will be able to add fatal frame IV to this list

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

I thought this was about Quality. Well I can't tell ...

It's never too late when you have a large install base.

I don't see any of those selling over like... a million and think they will be lucky for that.

I also think most of those will make more profits them most of their HD counterparts in their genre.

Well out of them most likely just gonna get Little King's Story.

I hope The Conduit does good, looks like a good game. The Dev's putting time and resources into it. Using Wiispeak, online, improved IR shooting and what not. Didn't do a whack job on graphics and what not. So I'm hoping that does good, but I don't play FPS so not gonna buy.

Deadly Creatures is weird for me. I have no interest in the game cause seems weird and no idea what about. But again looks like they spent good time on the game and hope it pays off for them, but then again with their saying they might go back to mini games if this doesn't sell is a turn off for me. First of all I don't know if this woudl see good on any system, too weird and different. A new IP. And your a bug. But well see. Heck I have sort of wanted to get Okami cause heard a lot of great thigns about it, I love zelda. The art style looks sweet and hear long game. But not sure how I will like being a dog/wolf the whole time and attacking by painting strokes and stuff.