By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 2K: Wii market is “flooded by crappy titles”

2K boss Christoph Hartmann told MCV that the market is “flooded by crappy titles” for Wii and therefore makes it very hard for a new game to shine.

“Where people go wrong in the casual market is that, while the development costs are exploding on the casual side, they’re treating the Wii like the old PC market – making cheap, accessible games,” said Hartmann.

“They think if they make ten titles and two are hits, they will finance the other eight. But they forget these eight crappy titles will flood the market and will lead to problems in terms of production – and upset retailers.

“Also, the consumer will be pissed off because they’ll be confused,” he added.

2K has recently released Carnival Games. When asked as to any potential sales success for the game, Hartmann added:

“Had we released it last week, it would have been much tougher. There’s far too much stuff in the Wii market [now] and it’s hard to shine.

“While the Wii is the strongest growing console, it’s a risk not to have well known brands in your games.”

Link to article here

http://www.videogaming247.com/2009/01/14/2k-wii-market-is-%E2%80%9Cflooded-by-crappy-titles%E2%80%9D/

Around the Network

who are these people? Why do they say this shit when they don't make decent games for the Wii? Its the height of hypocracy and it makes me angry.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Wii flooded with crappy titles. That super lol coming from the makers of Carnival Games and Carnival Games Mini Golf. And how does being flooded with crappy titles make it difficult for a new game to shine? Shouldn't that mean if the game is good it can shine out from the crowd.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Well, here's a look at how much titles sold.

0-5K = unkown

5-50K =  147 titles (32% fail to reach 50K)

50-150K = 112 titles (56.4% fail to reach 150)

150-250K = 55 titles (68% fail to reach 250K)

250-400K = 40 titles (77% fail to reach 400K)

400-500K = 18 titles (81% fail to reach 500K)

500-750K = 18 titles (85% fail to reach 750K)

750-1000K = 15 titles (88% fail to reach 1M)

1000-1500K = 17 titles (93% fail to reach 1.5M)

1500-2500K = 9 titles (96% fail to reach 2.5M)

2500K + = 14 titles (3% reach 2.5M)

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

The makers of "Carnival games" are complaining that the Wii is flooded with crappy titles? OMG This is pure gold.

Around the Network

What can you expect? The industry is full of birdmen following the latest craze.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

So does this mean a 2K boycott is coming? I mean many of us say the same things all the time but if a game company mirrors those statements they are outcasts to the Wii community.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Top spin 3 sucked, it should have been left and right handed but they screwed it up

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Oyvoyvoyv said:

Well, here's a look at how much titles sold.

0-5K = unkown

5-50K =  147 titles (32% fail to reach 50K)

50-150K = 112 titles (56.4% fail to reach 150)

150-250K = 55 titles (68% fail to reach 250K)

250-400K = 40 titles (77% fail to reach 400K)

400-500K = 18 titles (81% fail to reach 500K)

500-750K = 18 titles (85% fail to reach 750K)

750-1000K = 15 titles (88% fail to reach 1M)

1000-1500K = 17 titles (93% fail to reach 1.5M)

1500-2500K = 9 titles (96% fail to reach 2.5M)

2500K + = 14 titles (3% reach 2.5M)

This is a real eye-opener... The fact that only 19% of Wii games reach 500,000 copies sold gives more weight to the 500k for a success on Wii theory.

While I agree with the way 2K is reading the situation, I think the conclusion they are drawing is the exact opposite of the logical conclusion. Where they see difficulty, I see opportunity. If the Wii market really is "flooded by crappy titles" as they claim, then all it would take is a reasonable effort focused on the Wii, backed up by some good advertising, to sweep aside the competition and carve out a sizable chunk of the Wii market for themselves. Just think how well they would do if they made themselves the one bright star of quality amongst a sea of mediocrity. IMO, Hartmann's remarks sound like a rationalization for not developing on the Wii, and a poor one at that.

Super World Cup Fighter II: Championship 2010 Edition