By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Core Gamers are disappointed with Nintendo

Now, when Nintendo says Core Gamers they don't really mean Hardcore Gamers they're actually referring to their Core Customers. Their Core Customers are most known to be either fans of Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, Pokemon or any of their other games that have a following.-- That means, Yes, Animal Crossing is a Core game.

So if Nintendo's still making Core games why are Core Gamers disappointed?

I think Sean Malstrom does a wonderful job explaining why some Core Gamers are feeling left in the dust in his Email: The Zelda Patent article.

...The fear of ‘Expanded Audience’ declining Nintendo’s Core games is silly. Nintendo’s Core games were easily in decline before they even began to target an Expanded Audience. One of the reasons why Gamecube didn’t do so well was because of the decline in Nintendo’s core titles. Windwaker and Super Mario Sunshine did not cause any mass phenomenon. One can argue that even the N64 games were a decline. Mario 64 and Ocarina didn’t strike the same note as the 16 bit versions. The phenomon of the N64 titles rested mostly on the 3d sensations at the time. Ocarina did sell very well. However, it sold very well to younger people. Nintendo’s N64 games are beloved by those who played them young. Many older folks did not find the titles as appealing due to the switch to 3d. The fanbase ended up fractioning...

...The Mario and Zelda games, as games of the 8-bit and 16-bit period, were glorious towers built on the solid rock of arcade gameplay. Yes, there was greater ‘adventure’ and ‘production values’ in the later games, but they all held the arcade gameplay core. The later Mario and Zelda games seemed to have the rock be ‘iconic franchise character and places’ with different types of gameplay built on it. Including Link snowboarding and Mario mantra racing doesn’t strike Nintendo as ‘odd’ because the ‘iconic franchise character and places’ are still intact. Bored core gamers have pleaded to Nintendo to use new intellectual properties. However, that would not solve Nintendo’s core dilemma...

...Miyamoto’s perspective is to remove all and any constraints in the Core titles. I do think this is the wrong way to go about it. He should just return to the Mario and Zelda roots. The market has made it known that they LOVE games like New Super Mario Brothers. Yet, where is such a game for Wii? Miyamoto revealed that the younger people at Nintendo, who grew up with the original games, want to make games like them again whereas the older people at Nintendo, like Miyamoto, have been there and done that and want to try out new things. Funny how this doesn’t apply to Mario Kart, whose sales shot up when Mario Kart DS was designed to return to its SNES roots...

So even though they are still making good games these games are disappointing. Like he said Mario 64 was fun but it lack most of the feel the old one's had.  He said it "Arcade gameplay" that's what's been missing.

Around the Network

Two things:

1) I'm one of those ppl that don't believe in the buzz words casual or hardcore (or core for that matter)

2) I'm a gamer and have not been disappointed in Nintendo's franchises so far this gen.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

@Arius Dion
It looks like you didn't even read the first sentence.

With the money they are making I'm not sure Nintendo care much about the core anymore. They are a business. Bottom line is what drives them. As long as they keep making a massive profit the core games will suffer. They will be back after a couple of generations.

Yes

MALSTROM said that?? I thought he was intelligent...

Any core gamer who's disappointed with Nintendo needs to read Soriku's article.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network

@ion-storm
Oh, I think they care about all their customers. They seem to be the most customer driven company in the business.

as a core gamer who owns games from every major Nintendo franchise I am not in the least dissapointed.

I'm disappointed? Their games have been in decline since the 64?

OOOOOOOooookay.

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!

i'm not dissapointed, the only ones complaining are "new hardcore" with their FPS's and openendedness

@liquidninja

They care in so much as that without them they can't make profit. But don't think they will satisfy one core customer at the expense of getting 2 or more new ones. I know 5 people who used to be Nintendo crazy that have all switched to Microsoft. Do Nintendo care. Not in the slightest i'm sure. They made far more money and customers going their new way than they could have keeping these old ones happy.

Yes