By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 new Firmware 2.60 Details Emerge

There are some more details emerging about tomorrows PS3 Firmware Update.

According to our source, on top of the already announced Photo Gallery feature, and Divx 3.11 support, here are some more of the expected feaures of FW 2.60:

• Safe Mode
  • Blu-Ray Disc Theme Support
  • HDD Data can be accessed and deleted in-game
  • 3-D Secure Support
  • Improved System Stabilty

We are not exactly sure what these features offer, especially the Blu-Ray Disc Theme Support, and the Safe Mode, but we are looking forward to finding out.

Around the Network

Safe Mode ? Awesome. That should basically be a fail safe. Like windows. If your ps3 crashes because of a error in firmware or whatever.. the issues with some ps3s crashing up until now after a firmware update.. That should be the solution. Epic.

Check out my game about moles ^

Staude said:

Safe Mode ? Awesome. That should basically be a fail safe. Like windows. If your ps3 crashes because of a error in firmware or whatever.. the issues with some ps3s crashing up until now after a firmware update.. That should be the solution. Epic.

Can't they just make good firmware that doesn't crash instead?

I thought 2.60 was released already? You should be testing it already if you really want to know if they're true.

Good to hear that there is now a safe mode for users that experience problems with installing updates on their console. I wonder if Sony is still adding compatibility with games to these FW releases or have they abandoned that when they removed the BC from the newer consoles?

I can't remember what the stance on that was, as i would like to have FFVIII working on my PS3 someday (even better would be to have it as a PSN store classic ) Make it happen Sony!!

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
Staude said:

Every software / firmware has its own set of issues. The fact that the company is helping consumers out if it is in itself a huge deal.

I like that they are expanding the options you have with the ingame XMB, and every time I have watched a blu-ray, I thought it was weird to not have a theme like games have.

Words Of Wisdom said:
Staude said:

Even a simple Windows Update to update a certification in the OS can cause Windows to crash and burn. Its a matter of the quality of the download. You can download and update but if the servers are being attacked for massive bandwidth there ism no guaranty that you downloaded the complete file causing issues after install. 

Most update issues isnt due to the programming rather the internet which it came from.

As for the other features, they are interesting. I'll explain what the Blu-ray theme thing is really quick.

When you go to the game section you know how the background of the XMB changes when some games are highlighted. This is the same thing but for movies. Say you highlight The Dark Knight the background would change to an image of the Joker.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Will this "safe mode" be similar to the mode we would get when using PSP custom firmware?

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:
Will this "safe mode" be similar to the mode we would get when using PSP custom firmware?

probably not, its probably just a restart mode that if something happens to the firmware it will reinstall the original firmware and you will have to try reinstalling the latest firmware again.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453