By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft says it will take PS3 sales away at Christmas

http://www.gamernode.com/News/3878-Microsoft-says-it-will-take-PS3-sales-away-at-Christmas/index.html Sorry Cornelius, but even with a big software advantage you cant beat the PS3 and that advantage is quickly coming to an end. I'am betting MR C is wrong, you ?

Around the Network

we'll see...i hope you are right though. what sony needs to do is to drop the price a few weeks before black friday. that would be very good for sales and definately carry over into 08.

Cant wait till Assassins Creed!

I believe the ball is in MS's hands. If they play it right they can bury the PS3 in English speaking countries but a couple of very important things need to happen.

1 - Falcon is released at least by the end of Sept.
2 - Another $50 price drop for the holidays will probably be needed.
3 - Their big IPs do about as well as Bioshock.
4 - Sony IPs continue to tank like Heavenly Sword & Lair (according to current news & reviews).

3 out of the 4 are completely in MS's hands and the 4th seems to be almost guaranteed given the idiocy of Sonys current management.

I agree with the spokesman, but that's pretty much visible from the current sales anyway.

And the Wii will "take away" Microsoft's sales because consumers don't have to "foot the bill" for "technology they don't need" such as HD capability and the necessary processing power, DVD playback, Windows Live connectivity, and the $8 billion loss which Microsoft has to pay back to their cash reserves.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

Killzone3 said:
http://www.gamernode.com/News/3878-Microsoft-says-it-will-take-PS3-sales-away-at-Christmas/index.html Sorry Cornelius, but even with a big software advantage you cant beat the PS3 and that advantage is quickly coming to an end. I'am betting MR C is wrong, you ?

I dunno.  They didn't even beat 360 in the last NPD numbers.  I think they'll do better but after seeing the last NPD i'm not as sure as I once was.  Microsoft has the better lineup going into christmas in my opinion but I still think a lot of people want the PS3 because it's the PS3.  Not as many as sony hoped... but I still think there are plenty that want it just because of the Playstation name. 

Around the Network

This guy pretty much only has the ability to speak for the UK market, it would seem. And if that's the case then yes, MS has a chance at beating Sony this Christmas. But in a region that small it doesn't mean a damn thing in the grand scheme of things. Oh, and if if they won over PS3 Sony this year they've still got no shot next year...

You do not have the right to never be offended.

With 64,2% of XBox 360 sales taking place in North America, the XBox 360 is a major factor there. I think overall people there are less educated on the failure rates of the console. The XBox 360 gets hyped there without restraint. For instance claiming the XBox 360 did so well last year and now many high profile media claim the PS3 is doomed for failure.

But according to VGChartz the PS3 in its first year is currently outperforming the XBox 360's global sales data for its second year, both if you align launches and if you compare the last month's weekly sales data, this at a higher entry price and the console still being in its first year (smaller PS3 specific games library). So the media is entirely biased, almost to an extend it looks like they want it to be a Self-fulfilling prophecy.

In reality though we are still very early in the game with the PS2 globally outselling the XBox 360 for every month since release and well more people playing on PS2s than on XBox, XBox 360, Wii, Gamecube and PS3 all combined, even in the US last June according to a NPD survey! It almost looks like the US media somehow hates Sony and are spelling the PS3's doom like was the case when the PS2 first launched. This while mostly neglecting any of Microsoft's mass list of wrongdoings.

I think with the release of Halo 3 and a few other high profile games the XBox 360 will outperform the PS3 for North America this uocoming christmas. For Japan I see no chance for the XBox 360 to be of any true significance, for Europe and the rest ot the world I expect the PS3 to win overall (even despite a price drop).

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

I think the guy is right (although obviously if he works for MS you should take it with a boulder of salt)....

PS3 is still too expensive.

ChichiriMuyo said:
This guy pretty much only has the ability to speak for the UK market, it would seem. And if that's the case then yes, MS has a chance at beating Sony this Christmas. But in a region that small it doesn't mean a damn thing in the grand scheme of things. Oh, and if if they won over PS3 Sony this year they've still got no shot next year...

Are you kidding? UK isn't a small market for one, and sales for Europe overall (according to this site) the PS3 has only done significantly better than the 360 for a little while and now is fairly close. I can completely see the price drop put the 360 ahead of the PS3 week to week for the rest of the year, especially since the software is more compelling (as well the PS3 simply lacking any big hitter games this year). 

The only place guranteed to outsell the 360 is in Japan, but the PS3 isn't doing well there either. I keep hearing words like "sub-Game Cube" passed around, and that is not a good thing.  

It goes without saying that the 360 will bury the PS3 this year in America.

I strongly disagree with your last sentence. Personally, I think world wide the lead the 360 gets this holiday will be insurmountable for the PS3 for the rest of this generation.

I can't wait to see the sales numbers for this holiday.

NA Yes, EU and JPN no. WW could go either way depending how much EU and JPN are going to count in the HD console war.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.