By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why isn't there more games similar to Okami on the Wii?

I just picked the game up on Friday, and it is excellent.  I will go as far as saying it is the best game I own to date.   I am only 5 hours in right now, and I am just amazed at the colors and gameplay.   I think I may have to get Zelda TP now, because people keep comparing it to that.  Don't get me wrong I have fun with games like Boom Blox, RRR and Mario Party 8.  The fun just doesn't last. 

PS.  If you don't have Okami get the F*** out there and pick it up

Around the Network

Look at the sales for it :)

Because they're aren't any games similar to Okami on any system.

The only games that are similar to it are Zelda games which is what Okami is based on.

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

Because there's none, even on the others consoles.

Okami is a true, unique, artistic masterpiece. I'm glad I found a copy for PS2 a few years ago.

This game will never grow old, no matter how gaming evolves.

Because crapping out shooters, plastic guitar games, yearly sports games and mini-games makes more money.

Wii/PC/DS Lite/PSP-2000 owner, shameless Nintendo and AMD fanboy.

My comp, as shown to the right (click for fullsize pic)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
Video Card: XFX 1 GB Radeon HD 5870
Memory: 8 GB A-Data DDR3-1600
Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Primary Storage: OCZ Vertex 120 GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF-932
Extra Storage: WD Caviar Black 640 GB,
WD Caviar Black 750 GB, WD Caviar Black 1 TB
Display: Triple ASUS 25.5" 1920x1200 monitors
Sound: HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card,
Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers
Input: Logitech G5 mouse,
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard
Wii Friend Code: 2772 8804 2626 5138 Steam: jefforange89
Around the Network

There isn't more games like Okami on Wii because no one buys them. If you're only buying Okami now, you've waited well past the point were it could have made a difference for Capcom. The game is considered a financial failure on Wii and PS2.

Like everyone else are saying no one buys them. People prefer a more simple minded games in which publishers and developers like they could make a new game less than a year and make profit out of it.

Honestly? I think people get discouraged from making a game as big as Zelda/Okami, and then given Okami's sales people were even more discouraged. They simply don't think it's worth the risk... They might be right, but atleast Nintendo manages to pull off Zelda.

Well, Okami's artstyle was pretty unique, so that might have put people off from buying it more (and I wonder if Capcom bothered to advertise it much). But I don't think this one games less-than-stellar results turned off other developers from making similar games; it's not that old of a title, and I'm sure they would have noticed it's uniqueness would have lent itself to lower sales.
But yes, go and buy this game now, everyone.

Okami

To lavish praise upon this title, the assumption of a common plateau between player and game must be made.  I won't open my unworthy mouth.

Christian (+50).  Arminian(+20). AG adherent(+20). YEC(+20). Pre-tribulation Pre-milleniumist (+10).  Republican (+15) Capitalist (+15).  Pro-Nintendo (+5).  Misc. stances (+30).  TOTAL SCORE: 195
  http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=43870 <---- Fun theology quiz

Anyone that likes Zelda games should buy Okami.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)