By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - An opinion - I want to want a Wii

This here is my opinion, and no matter whether or not you agree with me, I want to hear your opinion on the subject.

----------------------------------------------

Currently, I'm a PS3 only owner. Sure, I own a laptop, but that's hardly relevant. And my parents own a Wii, but I don't use it.

Now, a couple of months ago, I knew I was going to want a Wii at some point. It was pure logic, the Wii owns the majority of the market, so sooner or later, there will be games out for it that I want. But I wanted to want a PSP. I wanted to play God of War, I wanted a handheld and I thought the Remote Play feature with my PS3 was a neat idea. But I could never have justified buying a PSP for those three reasons alone.

But something happened. The PSP had a great line up announced, and with even more to come. So I went from wanting to want a PSP, to wanting a PSP, and as things are right now, I will definitely pick up a PSP, once I know whether I should get the 3000 or the 4000.

But with the Wii, I have gone from knowing I would want one, to wanting to want one. So what happened?

MadWorld is what happened. I haven't tried it, I haven't been near the game yet. And I refuse to buy it for a console I don't own myself. But it got me excited over the things the Wii could do. Games on the Wii have a chance to be something no other games can be, and having fully realized this, I now want to want a Wii.

Some of you will probably ask why in the world I haven't gotten to that point until now?! The Wii has Nintendo games after all! But I am in the group of people who generally do not care about Nintendo games. It's only Super Mario Galaxy that I have any interest in myself.

But like with the PSP, I can't justify buying a Wii because of the games it might get and MadWorld alone. What needs to happen, is that 3rd parties need to make more good games for the Wii, announce me a killer lineup and give me no choice but to buy a Wii!

Right now, I am feel desperate to have developers try and make something good for the Wii. I don't care for Dead Space Extraction, House of the Dead or Tales games. My PS3 has had me buying games since I got it, and of the 21 retail games I bought, I only regret buying two games. Make me Wii exclusives that demand my attention, and not games I feel should have been on a HD console.

In the end, what I am rambling about is that I want 3rd parties to create games I want and need to make me feel complete as a gamer and the games I like to play. And The Conduit has the right idea, but I can't help but feel that the "Aliens invading Earth, bla bla bla"-concept is a little tired by now.

Around the Network

Most anything my Miyamoto (Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Cart, Smash Bros, etc.) Then there's Mama Cooking and Fire Emblem. And just wait until Fatal Frame 4 makes it out of Japan.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Jordahn said:
Most anything my Miyamoto (Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Cart, Smash Bros, etc.) Then there's Mama Cooking and Fire Emblem. And just wait until Fatal Frame 4 makes it out of Japan.

Could you... rephrase that?

^^^ I was just researching FF4 release dates, apparently we're looking at Sept/Oct for the US side, summer for Europe.

@OP - I suggest when you do get a Wii to play RE4 on it, even if you've played it last gen. The input method makes this a world of difference. Bully is also a LOT of fun too.

@ bardicverse

I was thinking about getting RE4 at some point, if only because people have been praising the controls so much. But I never played an RE game before, and saying that I'm anticipating RE5 would be an overstatement.

But RE4 is in the category of games I would get if I had the platform anyway, and not a game I would buy a platform for. Along with RE4, I have Super Mario Galaxy and No More Heroes in that category.

Around the Network

I think it should be very possible to be satisfied with just one console. All of their lineups are pretty damn good. I feel that the Wii has a better variety of genres and gameplay mechanics, but I think I could also be satisfied if I had a PS3 or 360.

So in other words, I don't think you should feel that you have to want a Wii. If third party efforts are what you crave, they're doing plenty of work on the PS3 platform already. There's nothing wrong with being satisfied by what you already have.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Quite honestly, I am in a similar position as you. I do own all three consoles (Although Wii was really more of a stroke of luck that I acquired and not something I purchased or had anything beyond a passing interest in).

I have been thoroughly disappointed with it. Mario Galaxy was good, but not nearly as good as it's been hyped up to be. Smash Brothers is just like every other Smash as far as I'm concerned and certainly not a big upgrade in anyway from the GC version. Mario Kart plays poorly IMHO.

There's a few games that interest me but not many.

The Wii is going to need to get more creative and better software to get me to buy more of it's games. As it stands right now, it hasn't been touched in months.

famousringo said:
I think it should be very possible to be satisfied with just one console. All of their lineups are pretty damn good. I feel that the Wii has a better variety of genres and gameplay mechanics, but I think I could also be satisfied if I had a PS3 or 360.

So in other words, I don't think you should feel that you have to want a Wii. If third party efforts are what you crave, they're doing plenty of work on the PS3 platform already. There's nothing wrong with being satisfied by what you already have.

Very true, but don't get me wrong. I love my PS3, and I would never have been without it, and what we know of the current lineup is enough to keep me satisfied for a long time to come.

But I realized that the Wii can add to that, and if developers want more money from me, then they should create more games I want for the Wii, because my PS3 lineup is already pretty big.

Of course, it makes me sad to see a game like Deadly Creatures bomb so hard, because I know it will scare some developers away...

Well what you just did was give an extremely personal point of view. I don't see where are you going with it or tell you besides an "ok, whatever" answer.

You don't like nintendo games? then I don't see why you should buy the wii or even like it. Nintendo games are the core of Nintendo systems. Take it or leave it.

About the lazyness from the 3d parties...well it has been discussed here and everywhere ad nauseaum. The 3d parties became lazy, spoiled and elitist and they forgot what videogames are really made about (hint: NOT GRAPHICS).

There are very good 3d party games but it seems that you want M rated hardcore stuff. There are mature games on the wii but seeing your post I don't think you'll like it.

Bottomline: don't suffer and keep your PS3.

And I am a wii lover yeah, but each people should buy the console it fits better.

Rainbird said:

@ bardicverse

I was thinking about getting RE4 at some point, if only because people have been praising the controls so much. But I never played an RE game before, and saying that I'm anticipating RE5 would be an overstatement.

But RE4 is in the category of games I would get if I had the platform anyway, and not a game I would buy a platform for. Along with RE4, I have Super Mario Galaxy and No More Heroes in that category.

RE4 is a good entry point, because it doesnt rely on backstory much at all, and you wont have to deal with the cumbersome controls that the earlier RE games were known for. It WILL make your heart race, a lot. =)

While I know you said you're not much into the Nintendo franchises, I can vouch for Zelda: Twilight Princess. Definitely a good adventure game that tends to be more serious than most of its previous versions. Also, if you hadn't played it on the PS2, might be a good time to check out Okami, another adventure game with an interesting concept.

The Wii makes a good compliment to a HD console, since you can get the best of both worlds that way. I myself have a PC and a Wii, and minus for the rare game or 2, most HD console games make their way to the PC too. Plus there are a lot of PC only games. I have no desire for any other gaming systems in my house at this time, and I think once you get a Wii, you'll be truly content with your purchases too. When your Wii library lacks, you'll fall back onto your PS3. When a new, solid game comes to the Wii, you can switch over to that. Locking yourself away like some virgin princess, married to only one gaming platform is not healthy for a gamer. Diversify =)