By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - New XBOX 360 SDK and XNA Studio 3.1 - GDC 2009

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/694239/GDC-2009-Microsoft-Unveils-New-Xbox-360-SDK-And-Avatar-Capabilities-In-XNA-Game-Studio-31.html

Microsoft has announced a few new development tools at Game Developers Conference 2009. On the hardware side is the new SDK. Armed with 1GB of memory, this baby should allow developers to run numerous background tools without sacrificing a game's RAM. Plus, it looks cool. I want one...you know, so I can have it.

On the software side is
XNA Game Studio 3.1, due out this spring. In addition to allowing downloadable content for Xbox Live Arcade titles, 3.1 is adding further support for the dollies avatars that arrived with the New Xbox Experience. Community Games and Arcade developers will be able to implement avatars with full 3D movement and custom animations. I got to see an avatar being animated in Maya and exported into a level made with XNA Game Studio. Although the new SDK is slick and sexy, the avatar capabilities of 3.1 should lead to some interesting titles that really give players a feeling of being in the game.

Anyone out there playing around with XNA Game Studio? If so, do you have any ideas for the avatar functionality in 3.1? I'm sure the next Cliff Bleszinski (minus the lame car) reads TheFeed, so speak up!

And also, check out more pictures of the slick Xbox 360 hardware (that most of us will never have) after the jump.

Around the Network

good idea. Why don't sony do something like that with the home dudes.. and make them look more normal while their at it :p

Check out my game about moles ^

I WANT ONE

Lol, as do I. Unfortunately I don't mess around with XNA stuff, so it would really be wasted on me :(

Sounds like it'll help speed up development time.

Around the Network

I WANT TWO, one for me and one for my ''mama''..can add power to x360 games, or only use for delopent xna?

''Halo reach''.. sell 7.m first week ,Believe¡¡¡¡¡¡

I've dabbled a bit in XNA, and it's really the best program for aspiring software developers. These enhancements only make it better.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
point x said:

I WANT TWO, one for me and one for my ''mama''..can add power to x360 games, or only use for delopent xna?

I am not sure.  I assume it still has the simple functionality of playing Xbox 360 games, but I do not know how much (if any) the extra RAM would help it in that respect.

seece said:
I WANT ONE

Me too. I will pay the price of a PS3 for that thing....maybe more....depends on how close it is to pay day. That is the sexiest 360 I've seen thus far.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Community games are a brilliant feature of Xbox 360. Some of the best fun games come out of the community games.

Absolutely loving this. Even if anyone doesnt make games here. You WILL reap the benefits. Keep it all coming M$. :)