By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Satoru Iwata: Nintendo's President. His accomplishments...

Satoru Iwata impresses me more each day. This man IS what Nintendo has become today. I'll list some of the things he's responsible for since he became president of Nintendo. His focus on a blue ocean stategy has expanded video game audiences.

The DS

The Wii.

Buying Monolith Studios.

Sharing informaton on developing games.

Hiring Yasumi Matsuno.

Feel free to add to the list.

Around the Network

Building Nintendo to one of the top 10 corporations of all Japan.

Also Satoru Iwata may not come up with all the ideas but he probably has to approve them. If the Wiiboard along with Wiifit is a hit then add that to his list. Also didn't Nintendo's earnings beat out Sony for the first time in awhile?

Becoming the youngest company president ever.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

I could be wrong but I believe that the greatest thing about Iwata's leadership is that Nintendo has been able to identify problems and react to them before they happen.

The Nintendo DS was spawned in reaction to news that Sony was developing the PSP and releasing it 18 months before Nintendo was scheduled to release a successor to the Gameboy Advance; knowing that this was the exact same position that allowed Sony to take over the home console market with the Playstation (and to continue their dominance with the PS2) Nintendo produced a console to compete directly against the PSP. I suspect that much of the DS' design was influenced by the need to be different enough from the Gameboy Advance in order to claim that this was not a proper successor to the GBA.

I expect that Nintendo realized that High Definition was not going to motivate the average consumer to spend an unusual ammount of money to buy a gaming console, and that the development cost on Higher Definition games was going to prevent Nintendo from being as experimental with their game design. From this I believe that they designed the Wii from the need to encourage people to buy a system which was not centered around graphics.

Around the Network

Not being this man:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroshi_Yamauchi

In other words, being the first Nintendo president who became president AFTER they started being a gaming company. And thus the first one who didn't make boneheaded top-down decisions about the company over and over. And not saying such fucking amazing/terrible things as:

"[People who play RPGs are] depressed gamers who like to sit alone in their dark rooms and play slow games."

-Yamauchi

I kind of miss that batshit crazy old dude.

Inspiring a thread where people masturbate to him.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

ckmlb said:

You may find Kutanagi sexier, but this is the wrong thread.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

RolStoppable said:
ckmlb said:

You could at least use a at the end of such a post. Without it, your post is likely to cause problems. Or maybe not, because people got used to this kind of posts from you.

Exactly.

On topic:

- in a recent interview, he said that Nintendo will no longer announce games years before they're finished; that's very good, I think. Phantom Hourglass, for example, was announced about 9 months before its release. Remember Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess? It was unbearable.

- Reading his interviews is actually interesting; he reveals personal views and concerns. He's humble. That's unusual.

- He seems to be well respected by third party companies

- Just a sidenote: If I remember correctly, the DS was planned before Iwata's reign.

Currently playing: NSMB (Wii) 

Waiting for: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), The Last Story (Wii), Golden Sun (DS), Portal 2 (Wii? or OSX), Metroid: Other M (Wii), 
... and of course Zelda (Wii) 
ckmlb said:

Nice. You should at - the troll - to the end of your name. BenKenobi can you help with this?