By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 has a higher attach rate than Xbox 360?

Sony’s Peter Dille has claimed that PS3 has a higher attach rate than Xbox 360, Gamasutra reports.

“If you factor in Xbox 360’s longer time in the marketplace and larger install base, Xbox 360 should be selling twice as many software units as PS3 if attach rates were equal — and that is just not what we are seeing at retail with many multiplatform titles,” he said.

Here are the figures:

• Street Fighter IV: Only 44,000 units separate the two consoles, with Microsoft winning by a 1:1 ratio. Yet the Sony version sold 402,919 units giving it an attach rate of 5.5 percent compared to Microsoft’s 446,435 units with a 3.1 percent attach rate.
  • Tomb Raider: Underworld sold 136,245 units on PS3, with an attach rate of 1.9 percent. The Xbox 360 version sold 108,784 units, giving an attach rate of 0.7 percent.
  • Prince of Persia: Microsoft outsold Sony by 36,000 units giving the title a attach rate of 2.1 percent for the console compared to 3.7 percent on PS3.
  • GTA IV: Had a 26.9 percent attach rate on PS3 versus Xbox 360’s 23 percent, but there was a staggering sales gap between the machines: 3,362,196 360 units were sold compared to 1,959,798 units for PS3.

Around the Network

It's easier to have higher attach rate on a console with less install base.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Is this america only?

Being a cricket fan is much simpler and more fun

yes, it´s only u.s.

I love cherries, but I hate having to pick them myself.

Luckily, it's Peter Dille to the rescue!

Around the Network

It's easier to have a higher attach rate when you have been on the market 12 - 18 months longer. It is generally a really bad sign when a consoles attach rate decreases. It should be an interesting 12 months for the 360.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

This sounds like even more convoluted logic than what was done to look at the attach rates of the Wii.

And that was laughed at by a lot of people on this forum.

So this makes no sense -- other than once again point to the fact that Sony may need to take its PR advice from Forged News.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

It is true that attach rates do not tell the whole story. You need to account for the fact that the consoles have been out for different lengths of time and sell at different rates.

Dille says something to this effect, and then tries to compare attach rates anyway. And only for a small handful of games.

For a better look at how the consoles differ in software sales, try this:
http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=66975

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

ruimartiniman said:

Sony’s Peter Dille has claimed that PS3 has a higher attach rate than Xbox 360, Gamasutra reports.

“If you factor in Xbox 360’s longer time in the marketplace and larger install base, Xbox 360 should be selling twice as many software units as PS3 if attach rates were equal — and that is just not what we are seeing at retail with many multiplatform titles,” he said.

Here are the figures:

• Street Fighter IV: Only 44,000 units separate the two consoles, with Microsoft winning by a 1:1 ratio. Yet the Sony version sold 402,919 units giving it an attach rate of 5.5 percent compared to Microsoft’s 446,435 units with a 3.1 percent attach rate.
  • Tomb Raider: Underworld sold 136,245 units on PS3, with an attach rate of 1.9 percent. The Xbox 360 version sold 108,784 units, giving an attach rate of 0.7 percent.
  • Prince of Persia: Microsoft outsold Sony by 36,000 units giving the title a attach rate of 2.1 percent for the console compared to 3.7 percent on PS3.
  • GTA IV: Had a 26.9 percent attach rate on PS3 versus Xbox 360’s 23 percent, but there was a staggering sales gap between the machines: 3,362,196 360 units were sold compared to 1,959,798 units for PS3.

Wow.... I didn't realize there were so many cherries to be picked that could make the PS3 look like it has a higher attach rate

So let me understand this.  2x the console means that EVERY game has to sell 2x as much on that larger install base?  What a stupid thing to think.  He gives 4 examples.  4.  What about all the rest that sell 2x as much if not more?  And what about the overall attach rate being like 3-4 points higher on 360 than PS3?

Why is it that PR guys are always the biggest fanboys with the worst logic?

nightsurge said:

Why is it that PR guys are always the biggest fanboys with the worst logic?

Probably because that is what they are paid to do.

(I know it was rhetorical, I just couldn't resist.)

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)