By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo becomes Japan's 2nd most valuable company!

http://uk.reuters.com/article/internetNews/idUKT1482820070925

Nintendo becomes Japan's 2nd most valuable company

TOKYO (Reuters) - Nintendo roared past Canon to become Japan's second most valuable company behind Toyota Motor, driven by its hot-selling Wii game console and DS handheld player.

Nintendo's Wii has so far outsold Sony's PlayStation 3 by a large margin since their launches late last year as Nintendo's strategy to expand the gaming population by offering easy-to-play but innovative games has proved a big success. Shares in Nintendo were up 2.6 percent at 58,900 yen in afternoon trade on Tuesday, bringing its market value to 8.34 trillion yen (36.1 billion pounds), surpassing Canon's market capitalisation of 8.20 trillion yen.

It, however, is still just one-third of Toyota's 24 trillion yen. Toyota is the world's most profitable and valuable automaker.

Nintendo shares have more than quadrupled over the past two years, initially boosted by strong demand for the DS, then by brisk sales of the Wii.

Around the Network

very very nice

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

The question now is, can Nintendo top Toyota?
I think it is possible. But probably will take a decade or close to it.

Auto market is pretty steady while gaming industry is on explosive growth.

Here we go, Toyota! (read it in Mario voice)

Nintendo has a long way until Toyota's levels, but hey, is not impossible... I guess.

You have to be fucking kidding me.
Nintendo is incredibly over valued.

Around the Network

What the....?

Jeez... I can't believe it. Would have sworn they couldn't have gotten past 5th or so!

Shares may yet drop back - but that's an incredible result for what is basically a video game company (or you could say an Entertainment company).

Time to sell some of those shares, and finance some purchasing! On my shopping list:
- Square Enix
- Level 5
- Polyphony
- Capcom

(yeah, I wish... but if they want to overtake Toyota, that's the sort of thing they will have to do...).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

^^ Besides Polyphony, all in my shopping list too

routsounmanman said:
^^ Besides Polyphony, all in my shopping list too

I don't think Ninty would mind if they owned the GT franchise / developer ;)

They should be quite profitable!

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Well as cool as Polyphony is, they wouldn't get the GT name with them hehe. It's a trademark of Sony. I don't think it's possible for them to pass Toyota. Toyota is just... huge. My sister works for Toyota and it's scary how much power they have in worldwide sales. Still, it's a great accomplishment for Nintendo.

If you can't beat them, then join them!

Clearly Nintendo should hook up with Toyota to sell cars with Wiis pre-installed...? ok maybe thats a bad idea lol...I can just see a Wii-mote smacking a driver in the back of the head..oh what a mess that could cause =P

PS - This was your random thought of the day~

To Each Man, Responsibility