By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendos Disruption Strategy and all the rest are falling into the trap!

Disruption Business Technique

I'm not using "disruption" in the dictionary terms. An earthquake is a disruption. A phone call is a disruption. This is disruption of the business kind. It comes from a man named Clayton Christensen who wrote the book tries to find why well managed firms die. The answer: disruption. This is the abridged version: A company makes new values which is more in tune with what more consumers want. It grows a new market, then attacks the old market. Here is the process
The Old Market overshoots the old one (here, Sony and Microsoft focused on more immersive time sinks, better graphics, and more expensive hardware. Nintendo noticed people were leasing the market which he called "gamer drift")
A newcomer or outcast makes a new product hoping to capture new users. The mainstream market (in this case, the hardcore) laugh at it can call it a "non-X"
The consumer's product grows by leaps and bounds. The incumbent is startled by this, but brushes it off.
The disruptor (Nintendo, in this case) moves upstream. They take more and more markets, The incumbent (Sony and Microsoft) lets Nintendo have them since they are unfavorable markets (these are gamers who did not want to buy a 360 or PS3, but were still in the market previously). 
The incumbent counter attacks. This could be a motion controller from Microsoft. 
The counter attack usually fails, and it makes the incumbent gone. They can not win because they have different values from the disruptor and can not compete in the same arena (here, it is integrating hardware and software. Nintendo is an integrated hardware software company and has some of the best developers so they can easily do this. Sony and Microsoft have game sectors as almost side products, so they will not be able to fight a head on battle requiring amazing software development and integrating it with the hardware).
In the end, the disruptor wins and the industry is now moved by their values (interactivity, interface and accessibility).  
Nintendo is not just expanding. They are moving in for a kill. They hope to make the industry new, in their favor of course.
From a very good business book. Seems Nintendo read it but the others didn't.

This has been quoted in another thread by a very knowledgeable guy --respect

What do you think?

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

Around the Network

You mean, you didn't hear about the disruption strategy before? Read Malstrom:

http://malstrom.50webs.com/disruptionchronicles.htm

We'll see if the rest of the story pans out. ;)

The BuShA owns all!

@Alterego-X yeah i heard of it but I dont think many others have here

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

well took nintendo a few generations but they have done it

Around the Network

While I don't think the Wii is 100% a disruptive product (per the Christensen definition), it's certain that Sony and Microsoft are falling into the trap and will most likely fail with their technology.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

I see one small problem - there's no way that Sony or MS fall becouse their motion controllers failed. Hell even complete fiasco of their consoles would only damage parent companies a bit.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Nintendo has clearly disrupted the industry.

Just look at it. There the most selling of hardware, software, making the most profit.

Everyone will eventually try to copy them (which most big third partys are as well the other two console manufactures) little do they relise there playing into Nintendo's game which there not ready for.

Its just shows the industry really is the blind leading the blind.

Welcome to 2006.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

and yet, allot of the games that I like are not on the wii, hell allot of the highly rated games are on platforms other than the wii, so the disruption has only served to steal, some what, the casual market from both Sony and microsoft...and that's really it.