By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - E3 2009: Impressions of JU-ON: The Grudge

Source

June 3, 2009 - I don't do well with horror. Scary movies, slasher flicks -- not my cup of tea. I get a little bit too freaked out, I run to the nearest lightswitch, I flip all the available illumination back on at its brightest setting and I curl up, comfortably, in a knee-clasping fetal position that calms me right back down.

JU-ON is not for me.

But it very well may be for you, and the millions of others in America who can't get enough of the scary stuff -- the same millions who made The Grudge a success in theaters a few years back, and that's the same series that this game is based on. Billed by publisher XSEED as a "haunted house simulator," JU-ON: The Grudge adapts the concepts and ideas of the film franchise and transforms it into an interactive, scare-the-crap-out-of-you atmospheric experience on Wii.

Don't go in there.

It looks pretty good. I got a look at the game in action at XSEED's meeting room here on the show floor at this year's E3, and it certainly has the right look -- grungy, dark and dreary. Your character slowly explores shadowy, haunted environments as the Wii Remote functions as your flashlight. You can move along at as fast or as slow of a pace as you want -- but, if you dawdle in one place too long, the ghosts will come out to play.

Tables spontaneously shook, footprints appeared in the dust out of nowhere, and partially-visible specters took flight away from the heroine as I looked on, already glancing around the room myself for the nearest available exit. The heroine continued her exploration, cautiously, and encountered a demon-possessed child hiding behind a nearby door -- who then disappeared.

This game is &^%$'d up, no doubt about it. And it gets even worse, apparently, when a second player joins the fun -- JU-ON isn't cooperative, but a second human with a Wii Remote can trigger spectral events for Player 1, to try to freak them out even more. Sounds like a sick joke waiting to happen -- sneak into the room when your buddy thinks he's playing alone, slickly grab the second Wiimote, skulk away into the shadows and use it to summon all kinds of horrors to assault his poor character. That's twisted.

JU-ON's definitely a different kind of game, as it's not survival horror, and it's not action-oriented -- there's no combat, no running from hordes of zombies or anything like that. It really is, though, a haunted house simulator -- an interactive, slow-paced exploration of a psychologically straining set of environments that will, guaranteed, cause you to have nightmares for weeks. If that's your deal, keep an eye out for this one when it launches in time for Halloween, this October. But, as for me, I'll be out at Walmart buying myself a new Sesame Street nightlight.

This and Silent Hill are gonna make my nights a little scary me thinks.

Around the Network

cmon people's where's the horror game fans?

Sounds amazing.

I loved the films so i hope the game comes to Europe!

Sounds interesting. But then I am more interested in Silent Hill and Cursed Mountain right now.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

sounds really strange. So its a on rails but allows u to look around with a flash light?

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

I'm afraid of my Wii.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

I'm definitely keeping my eye on this.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.