By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Specs of Microsofts next XBox

http://fgnonline.webs.com/

WORLD EXCLUSIVE FIRST DETAILS ON MICROSOFT'S NEXT XBOX 

06/13/09 1UP recently posted a new article revealing details on Microsoft's plans for their next XBox, we can officially confirm the information found in that particular report was indeed correct. However today FGNOnline would like to reveal Microsoft's planned specifications of their new unit.

As mentioned in the 1UP piece the system shall indeed integrate the motion sensing technology Natal into the actual device, however our separate sources can now reveal the modest upgrade made to the actual architecture of the new system.

GPU

Whereas the original XBox 360 used a Shader Model 3 GPU with on-board 10MB eDRAM for 720p acceleration, the new XBox has a Shader Model 5 capable GPU with 32MB of eDRAM for 1080p output. The GPU again is designed by AMD and runs at a clock rate of 600MHz.

CPU

The IBM developed CPU shall have 6 cores instead of the 3 found in the original model.
Each single core shall have the same processing throughput as each single core from the XCPU. Meaning the chip is literally 200% as strong and shall now be on equal footing with the PS3 CELL CPU in GFLOPS performance.

MEMORY

The main system RAM has been upgraded from 512MB to 1024MB, and from GDDR3 to GDDR5.
The system retains a Unified Memory Architecture.

OTHER

The platform integrates a 2.5" 32GB SSD (Solid State Drive) instead of a HDD (Hard Disk Drive) as found in the original models. The system also uses a standard DVD drive foregoing Blu-ray thus ensuring backwards and forwards compatibility whilst simultaneously keeping the bill of materials low. Internet connectivity is provided via WiFi.

RELEASE & PRICING

Microsoft plans on a Q4 2010 simultaneous worldwide release. The company is targeting a sub $300 price point.

Zach Morris

Around the Network

why do people want a new one so soon?

I seriously doubt that they will release this in 2010!

What's this site and why should I take them seriously?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Only twice as much RAM, only on par with the Cell and still uses a DVD drive. Fake!

Around the Network

Impossible. So laughable specs. You're just giving this unknown blog hits.

Lol, Nintendo made this all happen. Motion control on the console and it's cheap. Good job Nintendo for teaching them :)

Anyway, looks cool and it's cheap. I like cheap. I can't really see how they would improve graphics a lot more then this gen. I really can't see, so specs don't really matter to me and if you guys learned anything this gen then you know specs don't mean a thing...

Engadget is reporting this aswell. Who knows could be true.

Slimebeast said:
Impossible. So laughable specs. You're just giving this unknown blog hits.

Why are they laughable? It's basically similar to the GC->Wii transition.

Not that I trust the report...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

DBL post 

Well, as I said, the MS motion controls made sense for their next system. That said, if MS doesn't fully change out their hardware, they'll be the new recipients of "2 360s duct taped together", "LOL 360 1.5" and all that ridicule that the Wii got. I'm sure MS wants to avoid that negative publicity. 2010/2011 seems about right though, as it will be 5-6 years down the road, so it makes sense to start moving on. Personally, I don't see/feel a need for it. The 360 is doing fine. Ah, corporate greed at its finest - they insist on being #1, even if it pisses off their userbase.

On a side note, a 360 1.5 could be dubbed the 540, 1 and a half circles