By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ubisoft CEO: Average next-gen game will cost $60 million

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/ubisoft-estimates-60-million-for-next-generation-titles/

Ubisoft Estimates $60 Million For Next-Generation Titles

Many industry experts believe that this current console generation will be an extended one, lasting far beyond the typical five years of previous generations.  Much has been made about how Ubisoft is even now preparing for the generational leap, whenever it comes, and chairman and CEO Yves Guillemot talked about it to CNBC.

"The next generation is going to be so powerful that playing a game is going to be the equivalent of playing a CGI movie today," predicts Guillemot.

Such processing power comes at a price... literally.  While most current generation games cost between $20 - $30 million to produce, Guillemot expects the number to effectively double to $60 million for next-generation games.  For its part, Ubisoft hopes to recoup the cost of development by reusing assets from films, such as it is doing now with James Cameron's Avatar.

While Microsoft recently declared that the launch of Natal will be like that of a new console, Guillemot thinks that consumers will still want that next step in graphic horsepower.  "[Natal] is one step, but quickly they will take the other step — pushed by the environment," he says. "For us, the current machines are very powerful and we can do high quality work. I'd like to stay with this generation as long as possible, but my customers will want the best machine possible."

Of course, if streaming technology is developed so that the "cloud computer" dream is realized, that could turn the console war on its ear.  "If somebody comes out with online — if OnLive manages to make this work — we will have a next generation of systems sooner than currently planned," says Guillemot.

Guillemot noted that while Ubisoft will be releasing motion controlled games, it will not be trying to adapt them to every series, mirroring statements made in a recent IndustryGamers op-ed.  "The current pad for gamers is giving them a lot," he says. "They play for hours, so they don't want to get up and down. They don’t want to be tired after five minutes. These games are about reactivity."

$60 million is a kingly ransom for just one game.  Considering that many game companies are having difficulty with profiting from current-gen games, there's probably fewer than 20 companies that can afford to invest in $60 million per game.  Major games may truly go the way of Hollywood, where a handful of large studios fund big budget movies.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

higher production cost -> more expensive games -> more piracy -> ???

If it costs that much why don't they just stay with wii graphics. Its seems pretty good look at the condit but than again people will flame companies for downgrading graphics. I hope everyone knows that the graphics are the most expensive thing to make in a game and it takes up the most memory. Which means less resolution means more content on how much of the game maybe even a extanded story mode or muiltiplayer mode

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

nojustno said:
higher production cost -> more expensive games -> more piracy -> ???

And fewer publishers, fewer projects, fewer risks...

I find it odd that Guillemot seems to think this fate is inevitable when little developers like Nintendo and Blizzard rake in billions without going anywhere near top-end tech. But hey, Ubi's actually in the black (last I saw, anyway), so I guess business as usual is doing alright by him.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

i'm not paying more than 60 dollars for a game.

actually, the only games that I bought that were 60 were MGS4 and RE5, my other PS3 games were either gifts or I bought them at a discount.

all my other games are wii games. forget about the cost of the console too.... no thanks

Around the Network

I hope games aren't over $60 in the future. I also hope DLC isn't going to rise.

Pixel Art can be fun.

If next-gen games cost $60 million to produce, then I think that every company needs to take a step back and look into cost-cutting solutions such as ensuring they are using as much automation via engines as possible.

I mean, you look at companies like Epic and Capcom that reuse their engines multiple times (UE3 and MT 2.0) and create some glorious games on the cheap, then you have others that do one-offs like Rockstar's GTAIV (which they did do 2 episodes, but the fact is that isn't really enough to justify such a ghastly $100m budget) or MGSIV.

Ultimately, the issue is that companies are still using semi-archaic means of game development - making one-off engines for games, which is a waste of resources at this point in time. Gears of War was made for 1/4th the cost of Killzone 2 or MGSIV, yet sold more...All because the developers knew their in-house engine well.

Given time, I think devs will either die out because of their stupidity in making games (the fact is, not every game can be a AAA blockbuster) or evolve into the movie studio mentality of publishing multiple tiers of games - indies, medium-cost games, and the occasional blockbuster.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

I disagree because if technologies stay with similar architectures as today's console hardware the costs should spike at the beginning but decline rapidly because game engines will only need slight modification and development knowledge of the architectures will already be there. No need to relearn hardware.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Just for information: The Cry Engine 2 "only" cost 15.000.000 €. Licensing the Unreal 3 Engine around 700.000 $ - 1.000.000 $.

Even if the average next-gen game will cost up to 60.000.000 $, I wouldn't blame it on the graphics.

mrstickball said:
If next-gen games cost $60 million to produce, then I think that every company needs to take a step back and look into cost-cutting solutions such as ensuring they are using as much automation via engines as possible.

I mean, you look at companies like Epic and Capcom that reuse their engines multiple times (UE3 and MT 2.0) and create some glorious games on the cheap, then you have others that do one-offs like Rockstar's GTAIV (which they did do 2 episodes, but the fact is that isn't really enough to justify such a ghastly $100m budget) or MGSIV.

Ultimately, the issue is that companies are still using semi-archaic means of game development - making one-off engines for games, which is a waste of resources at this point in time. Gears of War was made for 1/4th the cost of Killzone 2 or MGSIV, yet sold more...All because the developers knew their in-house engine well.

Given time, I think devs will either die out because of their stupidity in making games (the fact is, not every game can be a AAA blockbuster) or evolve into the movie studio mentality of publishing multiple tiers of games - indies, medium-cost games, and the occasional blockbuster.

PC development is already like that. Its just that some studios became stupid and reverted to the "must make AAA titles always for consoles" mentality. Lucky indie development will never die and continue bring out amazing games for the PC.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453