By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Wii get a hardware revisions? When?

Ok so some of you are familiar with my quest to get a price drop to make the Wii more accessable as a second console, but you should now know that I have given up on seeing that until late next year, which is too far away to wait.  By March at the latest i hope to be playing Twilight Princess, Brawl and SMG in the comfort of my own living room.

So the new question is, what do you think the likelihood of a Wii hardware revision is? I think the most probable inclusion is a hard drive, as my understanding is there is only a 500mb flash memory which wouldn't be sufficient for the number of Virtual Console games i want, letalone game saves.

So do you think the Wii will get a hardware revision? When? What will the revision contain? Is it reasonable to wait for it, given I already have a 360 with an amazing Christmas lineup pending? 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

Hardware revision: Yes, move to 65nm. When? I don't know.

Other than that, nothing. Everything that the Wii needs (more storage space, support for more usb and bluetooth devices) can be done through firmwares.

fair enough....i guess.....but i understand that virtual console games cannot be played through external devices? Like you have to switch them back and forth with the flash memory? And what about when they start putting gamecube games on virtual console in a year or two? Arnt they all up to 2 gig?

starcraft said:
fair enough....i guess.....but i understand that virtual console games cannot be played through external devices? Like you have to switch them back and forth with the flash memory? And what about when they start putting gamecube games on virtual console in a year or two? Arnt they all up to 2 gig?

That can be upgraded via firmware too. Also, I doubt they ever release GC games on virtual console. It's pretty much pointless.

fazz said:
starcraft said:

That can be upgraded via firmware too. Also, I doubt they ever release GC games on virtual console. It's pretty much pointless.

How are they going to give you more memory with firmware upgrades?

Around the Network
GranTurismo said:
fazz said:
starcraft said:

That can be upgraded via firmware too. Also, I doubt they ever release GC games on virtual console. It's pretty much pointless.

How are they going to give you more memory with firmware upgrades?

Support for bigger SD cards/flash drives/USB hard drives I mean. And to play VC games directly from them. 

ok

fazz said:

It certainly wouldn't be pointless here in Australia.  You can't find second hand Cube games here. I would happily pay $10-15 AU for super mario sunshine, Zelda and Smash Bros. Melee and a bunch of other games.  Even if i could get them second hand, i would greatly prefer to shell out the same price and have them all on a hard drvie.

starcraft said:

So do you think the Wii will get a hardware revision? When? What will the revision contain? Is it reasonable to wait for it, given I already have a 360 with an amazing Christmas lineup pending?

They have already made a hardware revision.  They modified the mothboard so it's harder to install mod chips.

The only major update I ever remember Nintendo making to a home console is the top loading NES. I doubt the Wii will change except for different colors and smaller chips and maybe a smaller redesign like the Ps2. I don't see an increase in internal storage, as memory cards or usb drives should work with a firmware update, along with dvd playback.