By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Game Development n Sales

1. how much does an average game costs to develop for either X360,PS3 or PC?

2. What r benefits of going console exclusive( Gears 2,Killzone 2) or PC exclusive( Crysis,Bioshock)

u shorten ur sales base by that,huh?

3.How much Game publisher makes from the sales of a game

a. Activision from hit like COD waw which has sold 11+mill units

b.Sony from a PS3 xclusive KIllzone 2 which has sold just about 1.5 mill

4.How much do they lose for a flop

eg. Capcom for Bionic commando

Plz reply for money in terms of dollars,if u can guess,Plz

Around the Network

According to Day1 studios, the average cost of a game is 20 million dollars.  Day1 primarily makes licensed games for the 360, P3, and PC. They don't do much work with the wii, so I would guess that this is the average HD cost. It could include wii games but I am making the assumption that it doesn't. Companies have stated that making a wii game is 1/2-1/3 as cheap as an HD game, so that would be 10 million-6 million for wii games.

The advantage for console exclusives is the hype that goes with them and the cheaper development cost since you are sticking with one platform. Another advantage may be that you could isolate and better target the desired demographic.

Game developers release financial reports and I believe the site has them around so you could look them up. As for the profits of an individual game, we don't really know unless the company releases a statement.

I would guess that they lose millions of dollars because that is generally what they invest. I can't really see a company getting worked up over losing a couple thousand dollars. In fact I could see them pushing that as breaking even in order to keep up shareholder confidence. A thousand isn't a lot when you are consistently working with millions.

Sorry that is the best I can give you.

95% of gamers don't know they are noobs, the 5% who do won't be noobs for long

Check out my kickstarter project: http://kck.st/15CEuUT

Check out my blog: http://www.metropolisgaming.com

Normal PS3/360 titles are supposed to cost $5,000,000 to $10,000,000 to make with top titles costing $20,000,000 to $30,000,000.

Supposedly after all the costs are factored in to consideration, the game maker gets $31 for a PS3 title, while a game maker gets $38 for a 360 title.

Most Wii games are supposed to cost $2,000,000 to $5,000,000 to make by comparison. PSP is probably $1,500,000 to $3,500,000, DS is maybe $800,000 to $2,000,000.

Essentially you can be profitable at the following thresholds with an average game, but it varies alot:

DS - 100k

PSP - 125k

Wii - 165k

360 - 200k

PS3 - 242k

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

bullsize said:

2. What r benefits of going console exclusive( Gears 2,Killzone 2) or PC exclusive( Crysis,Bioshock)

1. Usually from the range of $10m-$15m for an average HD game. Recent Japanese appear to use a budget a few millions smaller than that,like that Atelier game.

2. Exclusive games get backed financially much better from their publishers (especially 1st party) and it keeps a team less spaced.

3.Publisher? I'm not sure, maybe 10%? It could vary depending on every publisher.

4. They lose from a flop what they put in. For example, Bionic Commando was supposed to sell 1.5 million (~$100m revenue) but so far has only sold 140k, and seems like it will stop at 250k It already has a price drop in effect, so assuming the 1st 125k went full price and the last went at a price 60% below that, I get $10.5m revenue, 90% below expectations in a huge flop. However, European currency is more than American, so they probably got maybe $15m, still a flop.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

TheSource said:

Normal PS3/360 titles are supposed to cost $5,000,000 to $10,000,000 to make with top titles costing $20,000,000 to $30,000,000.

Supposedly after all the costs are factored in to consideration, the game maker gets $31 for a PS3 title, while a game maker gets $38 for a 360 title.

Most Wii games are supposed to cost $2,000,000 to $5,000,000 to make by comparison. PSP is probably $1,500,000 to $3,500,000, DS is maybe $800,000 to $2,000,000.

Essentially you can be profitable at the following thresholds with an average game, but it varies alot:

DS - 100k

PSP - 125k

Wii - 165k

360 - 200k

PS3 - 242k

Yea, looking at those numbers, there are definitely many variations.

Normal Wii games need anywhere from 100k-400k to break even (Straight from a THQ representative and fromthegutter.com)

360 and PS3 are definitely higher. Games like Stranglehold and The  Club disappointed saleswise. Games with sales combined of 1.5m were still underperforming (was it Dead Space? I must go check later). I'm  confident in saying it is actually 475k 360, 525k PS3 for an AVERAGE game.

TheSource said these vary, so I'm not trying to disprove him at all, he acknowledged they aren't solid figures. I was just speaking from articles I have read on the matter.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network
bullsize said:

1. 15 - 20 million for the average game, uncharted and crysis cost 20 million, it was rumored that killzone 2 was 50 million, it was also said GTAIV cost a 100 million to make. Top 10 most expensive games.

2. It makes a name for itself and stands out more, why would you choose a specific console if they both have the exact same games on it?

3. I ferget the exact amount but it's aroundf 40 bucks from a 60 dollar game.

4. Well if you know the budget then you can know how much they lose.

TheSource said:

DS - 100k

PSP - 125k

Wii - 165k

360 - 200k

PS3 - 242k

TheSource, man I have a hard time believing that the cost of these games are so low to break even.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Average HD games cost about 15-20 mil, but a high end game can cost 30mil, and a game like MGS4 can cost as much as 50-60mil

Comparatively, Wii games cost between 5-10 mil on average, with high end games costing up to 20 mil.

A cheap casual/minigame title can cost much less, like 1-3 mil, possibly lower if its not a very big game

Poor Too Human, how the hell are they going to make that money back?

It's just that simple.

MonstaMack said:
Poor Too Human, how the hell are they going to make that money back?

That wasn't a bad game

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB