By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - A rather crazy Zelda timeline

From reading this story over at GoNintendo, where the controversy was created over what was clearly a form letter (or something very close to it) sent by NoA in response to this guy when he sent this timeline vid in for their consideration, i ended up watching this, and i find it very twisted.

Some funtastic highlights:
-He speculates that the Ancient Hero (the one that teaches you sword techniques) in TP is OoT Child Link, and is also TP Link's father, by having gotten together with Malon of Lon Lon Ranch
-Ganondorf and Ganon are two seperate entities who live in the same timeline.
-The Minish Cap occurs very late in the timeline, because the Master Sword is the Picori Sword, and was destroyed to create the Four Sword.
-Link's Awakening occurs after Phantom Hourglass, after Link is inexplicably separated from Tetra and co. (granted that he doesn't seem to mention Spirit Tracks at all, despite his incorporation of Zelda Wii as a big question mark, but either way this is a very wild postulate)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

nice

I like Gamtrailer's version beetter

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Not too bad.

He didn't want to add in the CD-i ones? lol

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

KylieDog said:
Yeah, I'll go with 'Nintendo make it up as they go along'. Aside from a few pairings of games here and there (OoT/MM or WW/PH etc) the entire idea of a proper timeline is a crock.

There is proper timeline. We know that Ocarina of time Link is the first link, and we know OOT is a prequel to Link to the Past. Also, Lttp was a prequel to Zelda I and II on NES. Twilight princess also seems to have taken place shortly after Ocarina of time. The rest, I have no clue. I doubt all the weird gameboy zeldas have a proper place in the main timeline.

Around the Network

This is like when people try to interprete crazy things into the stories of Shakespeare or Goethe that the authors surely never thought about.

Zelda doesn't have a timeline because Nintendo never bothered to make the games fit into one. That's the whole story.

Louie said:
This is like when people try to interprete crazy things into the stories of Shakespeare or Goethe that the authors surely never thought about.

Zelda doesn't have a timeline because Nintendo never bothered to make the games fit into one. That's the whole story.

its confirmed by Miyamoto that Zelda has a official timeline..it has to actually. splits at OoT

Xxain said:
Louie said:

its confirmed by Miyamoto that Zelda has a official timeline..it has to actually. splits at OoT

Yeah it's just that Miyamoto San never really bordered to make the timeline look all too logical Maybe that adds to the mysterious spirit of the series or something...?

Honestly, though I think they just didn't think of this back in the 8-16bit days. Sure Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask are connected, Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, too. But all in all I doubt they really cared to make them fit into a logical timeline. And I doubt Ocarina of Time's ending was created with the intention of letting the series split up into 2 timelines or something. I'm quite sure that timeline was just an afterthought.

Well, it's an interesting theory. They all fit.

But let's take a look at the name of these games, "Legend of Zelda". It's a legend. Maybe some of the games are about the same happening but told through different people? Maybe LttP, OoT and TP are the same but the "bards" (XD) sang different versions of it. That would also explain why the location of Death Mountain, Lake Hylia etc differs from game to game.